Thread: Introduction & a few questions. page

FallSight is offline Junior Member

Introduction & a few questions.

Shop Now
    Hello everyone!

I'm new here, and new to diet and healthy living in general. I'm a 27 year old male from Wisconsin, and very interested in the Primal outlook on life. I definitely haven't been living properly for quite a while now. I'm lucky enough to not have it as bad as a lot of people (I hope that doesn't sound degrading), but I could really stand for some improvement. I stand at a whopping 5'6, and my weight is in the the mid 160lb area. Doesn't sound TOO bad, but I have way too much excess fat that I need to be rid of too expose what I expect will be a pretty decent body underneath.

My habits thus far in life have been extremely sub-optimal. I don't get enough sleep, I eat way too much utter CRAP, and I don't get enough exercise outside of work, which can actually be very active.

Recently I started dieting. Something called slow-carb from the book 'The 4 Hour Body.' It was definitely better than before. I also started Convict Conditioning. It's a little slow for my taste, but I'm sticking with it.

The other day I discovered The Primal Blueprint, and it immediately caught my interest. This sounds like it will fit me very well, every aspect of it. I have already spent hours reading the material on this site, signed up for the newsletter and downloaded the e-books, reviewed the results of others after going Primal, and started eating Primal (I think). This is certainly the lifestyle change I have been looking for.

Some of the questions I have are:

Are there any foods, etc you THOUGHT were Primal, but then it turned out they weren't?
    Are there any foods you thought you didn't need, but it turned out you did?
    Has anyone strictly followed Primal Blueprint Fitness with great results?

Those are the only questions I'll ask for now. My main area of concern is in the diet area.

Well, thank you all for reading this somewhat lengthy introduction, and I want to let everyone know ahead of time that I really do appreciate help with an of the questions I have.

Thanks!

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FallSight View Post

Are there any foods, etc you THOUGHT were Primal, but then it turned out they weren't?
    Are there any foods you thought you didn't need, but it turned out you did?
    Has anyone strictly followed Primal Blueprint Fitness with great results?
    Hi Fallsight - welcome to the forums. Primal foods are pretty easy to identify: they are parts of animals, products of animals (eggs, dairy) or parts of plants. I try to minimize as much as possible the consumption of foods that need to have a list of ingredients on the package. A also try to minimize dairy and nuts because they are very calorie dense and I'm trying to lose weight. If you're not sure if a food is primal, then it probably isn't.

There's lots of great success stories on the MDA blog and here in the forums as well.

My main recommendation is that you should like to cook, or learn to like to cook and prepare your own meals. You have much better control of yourself when you control wht you eat.

Thanks for the reply, Mike. It sounds like I've probably been over thinking a lot of things in the diet portion of going Primal. I'm just one of those people who always thinks SOMETHING isn't right with what I'm doing. Any advice on calorie restriction/tracking for losing weight? Should I be keeping cabs below 50g a day?

Thanks again

For losing weight, Mark recommends 50-100 grams of carbohydrates per day:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

For sure you do have to regulate calorie consumption to lose weight. Some people do fine without counting macronutrients and just sticking to eating real food and avoiding high carb foods like potatoes. The increased protein and fats fill you up and you can naturally stop eating when you get full, without overeating. Others seem to have more success by counting calories, carbs, fats and proteins. I've been losing weight slowly since january without counting a single calorie, then a few weeks ago I started to use myfitnesspal.com and I was losing about 2 lb per week. Then I stopped counting and gained back a kilo (2.2 lb). So, now as of today I'm back to counting calories until I get the last few pounds of fat off of me. It must be something psychological because I thought I hadn't changed my diet, just started to keep track of what I eat.

Thanks again. What types of foods have you been sticking too?

Some of my staples thus far have been:

Eggs
    Chicken breast
    Steak (to a lesser extent than chicken)
    Vegetables (spinnach, broccoli, cauliflower, stir fry veggies, Cucumbers, etc.)
    Salads (Romaine & red leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, red bell peppers, sunflower seeds, homemade balsamic vinaigrette using the recipe here on MDA)
    Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
    Pork loin

To a lesser extent:

Avocado
    Cheese
    Cottage Cheese
    Salsa
    Almonds
    Apples
    Etc.

I have been staying away from grains 100%, and haven't been eating any obvious junk food, though I may have a maximum of 2 smaller glasses of wine on any given day, and I do drink coffee. Will any of the foods listed cause me any problems (trying to lose body fat) If I make sure I don't overdo any of them? I'm mainly a little worried about the dairy, avocados and apples..

I would say your diet is is pretty well primal. From my own experience, I would recommend being careful with nuts and dairy because they are easy snack foods but they also have a lot of calories. I have cut out most snacks and just try to have bigger meals (more protein and fat)

byounghusband is offline Junior Member
    Hey Fallsight,
    We are fairly close to the same situation..... Ok, I'm 5'7" and 175. Oh, and 22 years older... I was looking at the 4 hour Body and beginning to follow that plan. But found PB (again). PB is easier to follow IMHO. My plan is to eat pretty much the same as you have listed, but I haven't gotten back into much dairy or fruit as of yet.

Keep it up and good luck to you!!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Welcome Fallsight! Here's a list of primal foods from Mark: Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple. This is pretty complete and includes supplements. This only thing I'd add is Magnesium which may already be in your daily vitamin.

Most of us eat eggs and bacon plus whatever for breakfast. Some count calories but usually not for long. Many track macronutrients. I use paleotrack.com which is free and easy. I strive for 60% fats, 20% protein, 20% carbs. At that I maintain weight. If I add 5% to fats and only 15% carbs I loose weight. But either way I tend to eat the same calories pretty much. Since I don't intend to loose weight I don't need to go below my normal calories, whatever that is.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase