Thread: Alternating left/right dumbbell and cable pull exercises page

miata is offline Senior Member

Alternating left/right dumbbell and cable pull exercises

Primal Fuel
    Lately I've been doing more dumbbell and cable pull exercises as I work through some shoulder rehab. I've started playing with alternating arms on overhead presses, then incline chest presses, etc. This last week I was using some cable pull machines where you have a handle for each hand. I started doing these alternating left and right arms and really liked adding that twisting motion to the mix.

The more I thought about this the more I started wondering if doing alternating exercises might actually be more functional. It seems that most daily activities are more single arm oriented. Even walking, running and cycling are alternating type movements. You could even do one legged presses, lunges, etc.

Are there other folks out there doing alternating left/ right exercises with dumbbells, cables, etc.
    Last edited by miata; 07-14-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I don't really do them much, apart from dumbbell rows, do all reps on one arm first, and then all reps on the other arm.
    I think you shouldn't do unilateral work only, but as a supplement to the normal exercises I think it can be a great addition.

I really want to be able to do a pistol (one legged squat), but I'm not there yet.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i always do leg press and hamstring curls one legged. my right leg is stronger than my left so i always start with my left leg. i also do things like dumbbell bench press instead of barbell so i have to work each arm. so yes, where i can, i will use dumbbells over barbells if the exercise is mainly using a limb. things like squats, good mornings or dead lifts, i still do with barbells at the gym.

I have been alternating as a supplement. For example on the pull-downs and rows I do 5 alternating reps then 5 together. I am wondering if it would be better to do a whole set closer to exhaustion alternating and then a separate set together.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i always do leg press and hamstring curls one legged. my right leg is stronger than my left so i always start with my left leg. i also do things like dumbbell bench press instead of barbell so i have to work each arm. so yes, where i can, i will use dumbbells over barbells if the exercise is mainly using a limb. things like squats, good mornings or dead lifts, i still do with barbells at the gym.
    This sounds pretty good. On the leg press or hamstring curls do you do a whole with one side or alternate left/right?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    with leg press i do 3 sets of 10 with each leg alternating. so 10 left, 10 right, 10 left, 10 right, 10 left, 10 right with no rest as one leg is resting while the other works. for laying hamstring curls i do 3 sets of 15,10,5 alternating on each leg. so that is 15 left, 15 right, 10 left, 10 right, 5 left, 5 right with no rest being one set. sometimes i superset those 2 exercises together. so do 1 whole set of hamstring curl, followed by 10 each of left and right leg press as a super set and do that 3 times.