Thread: How few is too few calories for a day? page

Sarahrob2248 is offline Member

How few is too few calories for a day?

Shop Now
    I asked a similar Q regarding this when I first started, and most people said to just go with what your body tells you. My real worry though is that I may do some long term damage or may put on weight. Should I be forcing myself to eat to get enough calories? This may sound stupid, but if I continually eat less than what (some) science says my body requires to function, wouldn't my weight drop alot? I haven't lost any net poundage, but I've lost an inch on waist/hip. Is my body retaining fat cause I don't eat enough?

The story is this..

I've been doing PB for about 8 or 9 weeks now. I love the food I get to eat, and it has really changed the way I feel throughout the day. I am a little worried about how much I eat though. I range between 900-1200, with my macros falling usually fat 65%, protein 30%, carbs 5%. For example, my fitday yesterday showed 95 grams fat, 90 grams protein, and 18 grams carbs (almost all from HWC and a handful of blackberries that I eat with my coconut oil).

I don't feel hungry, and I'm only trying to lose maybe 2-3 lbs of fat. I workout three of four times a weeks, but I also work full time and attend law school full time, so if I can't get to the gym I try not to stress.

My question is, most CW believers state that it is bad for your body if you consume <1200 calories per day; I do this on a regular basis with almost no splurges. Is this harmful in any way? My (CW) boyfriend keeps telling me my body will go into starvation mode.

Thanks to everyone..

Sarah

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to lose about 10 pounds and I am eating 1000-1500 calories a day. People here have cautioned me against it. It's been three weeks, and apart from a few days of extreme (unrelated) stress, I feel fine.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

dsantana is offline Senior Member
    I hate to break it to you, but you may lose more than 2-3 lbs of fat. As your body transitions you will get better at listening to what you need. IF you are hungry, eat, if not don't. I am leery of eating more calories, just because science tells you you should. The total calories is different per person, based on age, sex, weight activity level and so on. One clear way to know you are doing something right is if you feel good. If you want to increase calories, just do it with more veggies, it may change your ratios, but is still significantly better than any processed carbs.

Sarahrob2248 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to lose about 10 pounds and I am eating 1000-1500 calories a day. People here have cautioned me against it. It's been three weeks, and apart from a few days of extreme (unrelated) stress, I feel fine.
    rphlslv - what have other members cautioned you about specifically? Did they say you would feel bad, gain weight, or something else? TIA

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahrob2248 View Post
    rphlslv - what have other members cautioned you about specifically? Did they say you would feel bad, gain weight, or something else? TIA
    That I am too young to be worried about getting ripped (don't think so). That I should focus on health instead (I am). That I am not getting my necessary nutrition (I am). That carnivore/zero carb is not ideal for long term (never felt better). That my metabolism will slow down (okay this one I believe in...). That I will lose muscle mass (not if I train at the same time).

I'm not "restricting" calories, I just eat until satiety and it happens to land at 1,000 - 1,500 calories at most... so just listen to your body. Zero carb is a great way to get rid of hunger!
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Listen to your body! If you're not hungry and not losing weight too rapidly, then you're fine. There are so many myths about weight on the Internet (and among people in general), and 'starvation mode' is one of the biggest.

I have a compromised metabolism and cannot lose unless I eat <1000 cal a day (my endo not only confirms this, he tells me that he has patients who need to restrict to about 750 cal). I have been eating at this level for the past 15 months, and I get regular check ups (I'm hypothyroid). My blood work is always superb, and since I only lose about a pound a week, clearly I'm at the right deficit level for my body.

Everyone is different, and no one should "force food" to get to some calorie level that someone else has decided is correct.