Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infertility cured??? page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

Infertility cured???

Shop Now
    Just wondering how many of you guys used a VLC eating approach on both wife and husband to naturally conceive??

My husband is eating around 100 grams of carbs on a primal diet (dairy, fruits, sweet potatoes) right now. I am eating a loose 50 grams of carbs per day with a few high carb days with paleo approved foods.

We both have been trying for a baby for many years without success. He has poor morphology which I have done some reading that L-Carnitine can help???
    I have been diagnosed with a Unicornuitie uterus (half the size it should be)

So the odds are both against us.

I am just wondering if we both dropped to below 20 grams of carbs per day with no cheats if we could magically get pregnant???

What foods in particular help with morphology?? I keep hearing fertility has to do with insulin?? That's where my head goes with the VLC approach. PLease correct me if I am wrong.

Needing advise!!!!!

Thanks!!!

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Going continuously low carb is a stress on the body. The few reasons I can see to undergo this stress are; To rid your self of a carb addiction. To make your fat fuelling and glucose producing systems stronger. To be in a state if ketosis if it helps a condition you have (like epilepsy etc).

The problem with going LC for an extended period is the systems used get chronically overworked. This can lead to metabolic problems.
    There is a whole "carbs are great" side project happening on this forum because of this effect.

Unless your very new (within a month) to primal. I think you will see most benefit from doing a (non to small calorie restricting) cyclic macro diet (meaning LC somedays, HC others). Eating plenty of various, nutritious foods and following the rest of the blue print (sleep, exercise, sun etc etc).

It is my understanding that human bodies scaled back their reproductive systems first when living conditions weren't right. Meaning if they where going through a period of starving or poor nutrients (any kind of major prolonged stress) we wait for conditions to improve, before reproducing.

Even if you have some kind of acute reproductive condition, "improving conditions" is gunna give you the best chance of success. Going LC long term is not nessesarily improving living conditions, unless you have done alot of trial and error and found optimal levels. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Thankyou I needed to hear this!!!

As you can see from my previous posts I am super afraid of eating carbs again. Being in ketosis means energy, mental clarity, no more brain fog.

The instant I add back in fruit all the fatigue and mental fogginess returns.

I am realising I need to add back in carbs much slower.

This helps a TON!!!!

Thanks soo much!!!

Paleobird Guest
    Dillberry, while I agree with your "shake things up" approach in general and would definitely advise the OP to eat a sweet potato or three, please stop perpetuating the myth that LC=metabolic problems. It's simply not true. Someone not trying to conceive can live in ketosis indefinitely with no ill effects.

The metabolic problems often blamed on LC are really people taking the diet to extremes often with major chronic caloric restriction.

The OP needs to convince her body that times are good and optimal for more Groklings to be added to the tribe. I think a steak and some veggies and a potato would be great for that.

For a post reproductive person or someone not looking to reproduce, LC is not in the least bit detrimental. Running on ketones is the optimal survival mode for the individual. Survive to reproduce another time. Ketosis causes internal "housekeeping" to be done such as neural repair (why it is so helpful for epilepsy). Just because it is "survival mode" does not mean it is bad for you.

Sigh thanks!!!!!!

I need some girlfriends and guy friends on my shoulder right now. Thats why I LOVE you guys!!!!!

Just trying to do whatever it takes NOT to have to take clomid, all reproductive meds and go the medical route.

So you think start with sweet taters and slowly work towards fruit???

I bow down LOL

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Sigh thanks!!!!!!

I need some girlfriends and guy friends on my shoulder right now. Thats why I LOVE you guys!!!!!

Just trying to do whatever it takes NOT to have to take clomid, all reproductive meds and go the medical route.

So you think start with sweet taters and slowly work towards fruit???

I bow down LOL
    Whatever you like. Just make sure your nutritional bases are covered (micronutrients) and that you are eating enough food in general. I might suggest some liver if you are not offal-phobic. Nature's multivitamin.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Whatever you like. Just make sure your nutritional bases are covered (micronutrients) and that you are eating enough food in general. I might suggest some liver if you are not offal-phobic. Nature's multivitamin.
    If you can make the liver taste good I'm in!!!!!

You guys truly ROCK!!!!!!

Thank you soo much!!!

Paleobird Guest
    Whole thread all about liver pate'.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65193.html

Best wishes to you and your family.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Agree with PB and just for the record, there are plenty of women on the low carb friends forum who have conceived while in Atkins induction (under 20 gm carbs per day.) Do what feel right for YOU.

The key with vlc is to make sure to eat plenty of calories. Many folks underestimate their caloric needs when vlc and some folks find that their metabolism ramps UP, so they actually need more calories to maintain.

Here are a couple of blog post I wrote about fertility that may be helpful:
    Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
    Optimum Fertility ~ Environment - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Agree with PB and just for the record, there are plenty of women on the low carb friends forum who have conceived while in Atkins induction (under 20 gm carbs per day.) Do what feel right for YOU.

The key with vlc is to make sure to eat plenty of calories. Many folks underestimate their caloric needs when vlc and some folks find that their metabolism ramps UP, so they actually need more calories to maintain.

Here are a couple of blog post I wrote about fertility that may be helpful:
    Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
    Optimum Fertility ~ Environment - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
    So glad the pregnancy expert showed up. Thanks, Dragonfly.

The only thing I would add is that, in addition to getting plenty of calories, you should get plenty of variety in the sources of your calories. These are the two main places where people get themselves into trouble eating LC, either not eating enough food overall or only getting their calories from a few foods (like muscle meats) and missing out on some important micronutrients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast