Thread: what is my lbm? page

etsmom is offline Member

what is my lbm?

Primal Fuel
    Not quite sure. I have calculated my BMI using several tools on the internet and I fall somewhere between 19 - 20%. I am pretty happy there, though a little less jiggle would be nice! But, as for my lbm, I get somewhere between 70 - 74 lbs - but all the calculators say I need to lose body fat so I am not sure exactly what my goal number should be in terms of protein intake. I track sometimes on dailyplate and it says that I need 43g protein. According to th BP I need 1g of protein per lbm which would put me around 70. Is that right? Or do you only need 1g if you are trying to build mass, which I am not. It was suggested to someone else on these boards that they do .5g protein per lbm - much more doable for me, and I dont want extra protein stored as fat. Thoughts would greatly be appreciated! Oh, I am 4'10.5, 97 lbs if that helps. TIA! Just trying to maintain here, eh, mostly. If I could skim a little off the old saddle bags that surely wouldnt hurt!

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    I think you may be over analyzing it a little. If you're eating primal stuff, your macro's will usually fall into the right places. It's pretty hard to overdo protein because it's *so* filling. Generally speaking, it's hard to get over 1g/lb without forcing yourself.

If you're working out at all, use your performance as a guage. If you start feeling weaker or no longer make gains, increase protein. If not, then you're probably fine.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    It's a little confusing. I can't imagine very many sites telling you you need to lose if your BMI is 19-20. By the way, BMI is not a percentage at all, and it's not the same as body fat percentage.

I'm not a huge fan of high protein recommendations, but 0.5/pound LBW seems pretty low. I'm not a huge protein eater, and I exceed that without even trying.

What I like about Primal is ... not counting things!

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    What is your height and current weight? Have you had your body composition tested?

etsmom is offline Member
    thanks for the replies, guys.

RSL - I am 4'10.5" and 97 lbs. Never had body composition tested. Not really too woried about it, just want to make sure I am not over or under doing it really.

avocado and mike - I am totally not trying to over analyze it all, but I am coming from a vegetarian lifestyle and I find it hard to eat so much animal protein. I am WAY heavy on the veggies and certainly dont skimp with butter, but the meat is another story. I found that when I made the switch, I have gained weight rather than mainatining. I am figuing it is coming from the protein since my main source of protein in the past was beans, quinoa (I never ever really did eat wheat/rice/corn grains), etc. So, I want to make sure I ma eating enough protein to be healthy but not over doing it. Though, sometimes I feel like I do because I cannot belive the damage I may have done from not having animal sourced protein. Does that make sense. Anyway, i am hoping to just live and not count, but i want to get a starting point.

Oh, and several sites did rec. that my lbm be several, I dont know points or pounds, less. I thought that was weird, too. I dont have a problem with where I am at all - I am pretty stinking tiny with a womanly figure, but I dont want to get much larger - ya know?

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by etsmom View Post
    thanks for the replies, guys.

RSL - I am 4'10.5" and 97 lbs. Never had body composition tested. Not really too woried about it, just want to make sure I am not over or under doing it really.

avocado and mike - I am totally not trying to over analyze it all, but I am coming from a vegetarian lifestyle and I find it hard to eat so much animal protein. I am WAY heavy on the veggies and certainly dont skimp with butter, but the meat is another story. I found that when I made the switch, I have gained weight rather than mainatining. I am figuing it is coming from the protein since my main source of protein in the past was beans, quinoa (I never ever really did eat wheat/rice/corn grains), etc. So, I want to make sure I ma eating enough protein to be healthy but not over doing it. Though, sometimes I feel like I do because I cannot belive the damage I may have done from not having animal sourced protein. Does that make sense. Anyway, i am hoping to just live and not count, but i want to get a starting point.

Oh, and several sites did rec. that my lbm be several, I dont know points or pounds, less. I thought that was weird, too. I dont have a problem with where I am at all - I am pretty stinking tiny with a womanly figure, but I dont want to get much larger - ya know?
    Have you done measurements to see if maybe it's muscle that you're adding in weight? As hesitant as I was to believe it, I have witnessed people adding muscle mass just by going primal/paleo. I could definitely see that happening if you're coming from a vegetarian background.

etsmom is offline Member
    Yeah, I do think it is muscle, actually. I started using weights - though a small amt of weights - 5 ols per arm and 2 lb ankle weights. I alternate between pilates and lunges/squats/weight focused stuff each day. Before, when I was veg , I did pilates everyday. I know weighted exercises are good so I have decided to incorporate them into my routine. I work out maybe 30-40 mins a day everyday, but tnothing too too strenuous. But, i do think muhc of the weight is muscle. Still, I am "growing" or bulking a nbit more and I dont want that. Which is why I am trying to find out exactly how my my body needs in protein and then fill the rest of my needs with fat. And, veg of course. I dont really have a problem with the number on the scale, I just kinda need to get a starting poin on where to begin with protein.

sorry for all the typos, but backspace button is not wokring.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    etsmom, I consume about .7 g protein per lb. of lean mass. I would recommend adding walking to your exercise routine. A combination of walking, light weights and pilates is great for lengthening and toning without building the muscle bulk. Also, be sure you are not overconsuming protein through dairy, nuts, cheese, etc... I find the protein adds up from other sources as well.