Thread: 5-htp page

roadcred is offline Junior Member

5-htp

Can't find a thread running on this, but they say using this drug, WHAT IS 5HTP? which is really an anti depressant, I guess, greatly helps weight loss. Does anybody support this? Is it true? I need to know before I start with their suggested course?

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    5-htp is the intermediate between tryptophan and serotonin. As far as I know, commercial 5-htp is not synthetic (good thing). Too much can cause nausea and sleeplessness. What is considered too much is individual, so start with low amounts if you try it.

I would expect it to work only for mild depression. Since it is an intermediary that relies on others (iron, I think) for conversion it might not be effective if other amino acids or nutrients or neurotransmitters are out of whack, too. Merely flooding your system with 5-HTP won't necessarily mean that any increased serotonin levels will actually bind to receptors and make you feel better as a result. That is the experimentation side of it, I guess.

This is talked about in the Autism community (my son is on the spectrum). It works for some and not for others. They recommend it be taken at night and with a Bcomplex vitamin and magnesium. 50-100 mgs/day is the amount they typically recommend for a child on the spectrum for anti-anxiety or sleep aid.

If you tackle depression, my guess is weight changes will follow. Additionally, better sleep can help with depression, too. I don't believe you should expect to lose weight because you are taking it, though. Shy away from anyone who will tell you this supp or that supp will make weight fall off.

Bottom line is: 5-HTP isn't dangerous so give it a (smart) try if you'd like. Good luck!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I tried a low dose as an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety), it seemed to work well and had no bad effects.

It's 5-Hydroxytryptophan. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Sharon is offline Member
    i wouldn't take it as a weight loss aid, there are far better strategies for that...
    as far as i know it's not a good thing to take 5htp on it's own as it will likely deplete dopamine levels.
    this guy has a post on it:
    Safe Use of 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine
    i have read the book by Dr.Kalish you can see at the bottom of the page. it gives solid information.
    there's not too much info to find on Dr.Kalish his page but the man behind the amino acid protocol, Dr.Hinze, gives
    extensive information on his:
    serotonin dopamine norepinephrine epinephrine

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I got some to try in small doses because I get food cravings, especially in emotional situations, and have a family history of depression and anxiety disorders (though none personally). I'm hoping it will help with the craving for carbs in particular. We shall see. I'm only doing a low dose.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I use it to manage my depression & anxiety (at 100 mg per day now, used to be up to 300 mg but have been able to lower the dose over time). I wouldn't recommend any "go to" fixes for weight loss, but it's a reasonable option for mood disorders. I used the book "The Mood Cure" as my guide.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I've used it for the past 5 years (in combination with melatonin and L-theanine) to help with insomnia, anxiety and mild depression that I've suffered with my whole life. I've never been happier or healthier and I now sleep great (even with an erratic schedule as a midwife). I'd give it a try and see how it feels. I can't comment on the weight loss part but since taking it, I have lost about 10lbs...but this also co-insides with switching to paleo/primal and a few other life changes so it's hard to isolate.

Penady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I took it for a while. It made me sleepy. I didn't notice any measurable change in mood or weight loss benefits.