Thread: adrenals? waking in night, muscle twitches etc - advice REALLY appreciated page

jasonmor is offline Junior Member

Smile adrenals? waking in night, muscle twitches etc - advice REALLY appreciated

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    HI everyone,

I have been on paleo for many months and it is certainly working

The only issues I really wish I could solve now are -

Waking at night 3.30 approx, usually with raised heart rate and edgy feeling, like a mild adrenaline burst.

I also get lots of muscle twitching in the calves in particular, but it can be
    anywhere like back, eyelid etc too. They usually go away as day progresses.

I take 600-800mg magnesium. A b complex and b6, 1standard multi vit, About half
    RDA of calcium citrate as I am lactose intolerant, K2, D3, some Celtic sea salt, also
    1banana and 1 large avocado per day for potassium but nothing seems to help.

I think it is all adrenal related.

I have read that a good cure for the waking might be this before bed -

˝ cup orange juice
    ˝ teaspoon cream of tarter
    ˝ teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic salt

apparently id does this -

"
    Fresh squeezed orange juice gives the liver glucose it needs to regenerate.
    Cream of tartar is high in potassium, an element that is essential for the sodium/potassium balance in cells, vital organs (liver), muscles, nerves, and the digestive system.
    Himalayan salt, contains 84 essential minerals and elements found in the human body, helping feed the adrenals and refresh body’s the sodium/potassium pump"

Would really appreciate any advice and tips

Jason

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I think the potassium would help for sure. What kind of magnesium do you take? Mag oxide is pretty much useless. I use citrate, but malate and glycinate are good too.

More carbs before bed could help, such as bananas or fruit.

I started taking different adaptogens a couple of weeks ago as recommended by another MDA'er. They help to body better handle stress. Ashwaghanda, rhodiola and holy basil are just a few of the different ones you could try.

I hope this helps!

Giblets is offline Member
    It sounds like you're just mildly dehydrated -- which can cause the symptoms you mentioned. It is easy to become dehydrated. Remember that coffee, tea, and alcohol are all somewhat diuretic. Drink a little more water during the day. Or if you wake up from leg cramps, drink a cup of water and the problem should go away in about 20 minutes.

shousan is offline Junior Member
    Did you have these problems before paleo?

Sugar and salt should help shut down adrenalin so eat something with that. Or you could put refined sugar and salt under your tongue.

Hi

Yes had it before Paleo too

I trhought sugar would make it worse?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by shousan View Post
    Did you have these problems before paleo?

Sugar and salt should help shut down adrenalin so eat something with that. Or you could put refined sugar and salt under your tongue.

inthepink is offline Junior Member
    Been Primal/paleo for about nine months now. Started getting night calf cramps on occasion a few months ago. Also then started getting weird feelings sometimes in my head, like my brain was hungry. Started eating some starch each day, such as sweet potato mixed with butter, cream and sometimes fetta. No more funny feelings in the head, and no more cramping as long as I keep up with some starch each day, especially on exercise days.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the eating a carb recommendation. This used to happen to me if I:
    a- didn't eat enough total calories for the day
    b- didn't eat enough carbohydrate that day

Try eating some starch: yam, squash ect and see if it helps.

Thank sfor the input so far - I eat quite a bit of starch - butternut squash etc etc