Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nighttime leg cramps: mineral deficiency? page 2

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    I used to have these almost every night. What worked for me is supplemental magnesium (usually 200mg of magnesium glycinate about 1-3 hrs before going to sleep)
    Ditto this, and I'm a major supplement skeptic. Historically our main source of magnesium was untreated drinking water which isn't an option now so a little boost is appropriate. Muscle function is definitely within its domain.

If you're eating vegetables or starches then a potassium deficiency is unlikely. Sodium deficiency is usually simple fatigue.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Thanks everyone - She actually found Magnesium and potassium supplements in the house left over from her Pronokal diet days. She'll give em a try for a couple of days.
    IMHO a potassium deficiency is much less likely than a magnesium deficiency (which is extremely common). I wouldn't supplement the potassium unless the magnesium by itself doesn't take care of it. Magnesium (chelated magnesium glycinate) did it for me.

mike is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday she took magnesium and potassium. This morning no leg cramps. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I'll get her to take just the magnesium for the next few days and see what happens. I wonder if there is any risk of taking too much magnesium or potassium? As someone else mentioned, I'm not big on supplements either. I have lots of swiss chard in the garden which I think is high in magnesium so I'd rather supplement our diets with that than pills.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday she took magnesium and potassium. This morning no leg cramps. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I'll get her to take just the magnesium for the next few days and see what happens. I wonder if there is any risk of taking too much magnesium or potassium? As someone else mentioned, I'm not big on supplements either. I have lots of swiss chard in the garden which I think is high in magnesium so I'd rather supplement our diets with that than pills.
    both magnesium and potassium can be dangerous in excess but they are just as dangerous when too low. look Hypermagnesemia and Hypomagnesemia (magnesium), Hyperkalemia and Hypokalemia (potassium) and be aware of the signs. Wiki is a good clear read for the basics
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    both magnesium and potassium can be dangerous in excess but they are just as dangerous when too low. look Hypermagnesemia and Hypomagnesemia (magnesium), Hyperkalemia and Hypokalemia (potassium) and be aware of the signs. Wiki is a good clear read for the basics
    Hi CarbDodger - Thanks for the info. Googling now. BTW, your success described in your signature is quite amazing - are you following PB? Ketogenic?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if there is any risk of taking too much magnesium or potassium?
    Yes. My mother, the queen of supplements, ended up with 2 years of diarrhea because she didn't tell her doctor she was taking magnesium supplements and he gave her a prescription for magnesium.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    VLC - ketogenic monitored by blood value.
    Primal as clean as i can manage
    weight loss has amazed me too and my body likes it generally.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-14-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12