Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lambs tongues page

Sharon is offline Member

lambs tongues

Primal Fuel
    do you like them? i love eating them but whenever i suggest cooking them for someone they politely decline
    i've whipped up my own recipe. very easy but totally yum.

so i dice up some carrot, celery and onion. put it all in a pot with the lambs tongues. add a pinch of anise, fennel and fenugreek seeds, some dried ginger and turmeric root, a bay leaf, some pepper corns and coarse salt. add water and start boiling the lot. when they're nearly done (check the tenderness with a knife) i take them out, peel and slice 'em up. put them in another pot and pour over a generous amount of coconut milk. give this a good boil until the milk has thickened up. season with salt and white pepper. i serve the tongues with lots of the sauce and a bunch of freshly chopped parsley.

try it and see if you like

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Can't say I have ever had any but I am definitely willing to try!

Sharon is offline Member
    trick is to boil them long enough so they get nice and tender and melty. if you're peeling them and the skin doesn't come off nicely they're not cooked long enough.
    succes!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to buy pickled lambs' tongues. They were good.

Sharon is offline Member
    never had them pickled. trying to imagine the taste...

jakey is offline Senior Member
    absolutely love them. tongue, of any animal, is an awesome cut! just boil it long enough that you can peel them membrane, then sautee it with whateva. if you're in LA, superking market sells them.

Sharon is offline Member
    cows tongue used to be popular when i was a child. they would give it to us at school dinners. they served it with a nasty tomato sauce. nobody liked it. i never buy cows tongue, they are absolutely huge! reckon i could freeze some. don't know, i have the idea the texture isn't right for freezing and it would fall apart when cooking.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    cows tongue used to be popular when i was a child. they would give it to us at school dinners. they served it with a nasty tomato sauce. nobody liked it. i never buy cows tongue, they are absolutely huge! reckon i could freeze some. don't know, i have the idea the texture isn't right for freezing and it would fall apart when cooking.
    My mom used to make cow's tongue occasionally when I was a kid ... I THINK she boiled it, but not sure. I liked it back then, but as I got older, I started thinking about it too much and found it squicky.

I like a line that Theo said on the Cosby Show: "I don't wanna taste anything that can taste ME!"

Not much of a point to this post, other than remeniscing. Would be interesting to try to make it myself, but I bet my husband would rather die than eat it.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried lamb tongue, but I eat beef tongue on a regular basis. It was introduced to me originally as a cold cut that one ate on rye bread with mustard. I still like it with mustard, but I skip the rye bread now.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Sharon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    My mom used to make cow's tongue occasionally when I was a kid ... I THINK she boiled it, but not sure. I liked it back then, but as I got older, I started thinking about it too much and found it squicky.

I like a line that Theo said on the Cosby Show: "I don't wanna taste anything that can taste ME!"

Not much of a point to this post, other than remeniscing. Would be interesting to try to make it myself, but I bet my husband would rather die than eat it.

your mum did probably boil the cows tongue yeah. don't think you can make it chewable any other way.
    lambs tongue is a lot more tender and softer in taste than cow's i found.
    just make 'em and have your husband taste them! this said, my boyfriend won't touch them either and i can't possibly repeat here how he says they look
    i know what you mean re when you start thinking about it... i was a vegetarian for over a decade so i usually don't go there anyway. thinking about it, i mean.
    i try new and 'weird' cuts of meat all the time. they way i see it is if we kill an animal for eating we better eat as much of it as possible. it's only right. there really is no difference between a slice of bacon or a pig's snout is there. just in our minds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast