Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy page

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member

Dairy

Shop Now
    Simple question: Is it ok to eat dairy? (milk/yoghurt/cheese)

Just been looking at a paleo webby and "computer says no".

Just wanted some views from MDA.

Cheers in advance!
    6'6" male

SW: 286lbs/130kg/20st 8lbs
    CW: 281 lbs/127.7kg/20st 1lb
    TW:216lbs/98kg/15st 6lbs

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

Harpua is offline Member
    Strict Paleo would be a no. Most people on here believe if you handle it well, eat it. I cut down a lot on my dairy intake,but didn't eliminate it. The first couple of weeks I took it out, but added it back in with seemingly no bad side effects.
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i cut down on milk, but purely because i wasn't eating ceral for brekky any more.

i use plenty of double cream, yoghurt and cheese though!

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    The strictest version of paleo doesn't include any dairy (except ghee/clarified butter) however the consensus among the gurus (including Mark and Robb Wolf) seems to be that it depends on the situation and quality of produce.
    Only you can decide whether some dairy is ok for you. Cut it out completely for 30 days or more, then reintroduce, starting with high-fat/fermented/raw items first (new item every 3-4 days) and only then milk and conventional produce. If you have no reaction, you might be ok with consuming some dairy.

Ok thanks for the replies - i dont drink milk anymore, perhaps a pint once in a while, as i no longer eat cereal or have it in my coffee. I chow dont on loads of cheese though, so gonna be hard giving that up. Ill see whats happening after a week or so.

The reason i ask is that this week i put on 2.3 kg, but i think that may just be muscle mass as i certainly dont feel fatter....
    6'6" male

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to give up cheese. You may have to moderate it a bit if you're finding weight loss isn't working, but unless you're adversely affected by it, no reason to give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    You don't have to give up cheese. You may have to moderate it a bit if you're finding weight loss isn't working, but unless you're adversely affected by it, no reason to give it up.
    you have no idea how musical that sounds!
    6'6" male

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Oh I do! Since going Primal I've actually ended up increasing my intake of dairy. I feel better this way, no more bloating, more satiety, and its delicious. I feel much more free to eat dairy, whereas CW has me fearing all those saturated fats! Oh the horror.

Some people go dairy free as dairy affects them as badly as grains affect others. Others avoid it because they're restricting calories, and then they might reintroduce it. I've found it almost regulates my weight.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Well, most of us here follow Mark's Primal Blueprint, where he recommends good quality dairy in moderation if you can tolerate it.

Personally, I love the benefits of yoghurt and wouldn't give up cheese. Don't forget dairy is rich in calcium. Just avoid processed dairy and ALWAYS read the ingredients. Watch out for sugar, glucose syrup, additives etc.

Dairy can be high calorie, though. It's not healthy to consume it excessively and neither should it be eaten liberally when weight loss is your goal.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/

Mark writes a good guide here.
    Last edited by Mikee5; 07-12-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    i dont drink milk anymore, perhaps a pint once in a while, as i no longer eat cereal or have it in my coffee. I chow dont on loads of cheese though, so gonna be hard giving that up.
    I hear ya. I mostly gave up cheese for years back when I thought saturated fat was unhealthy. Then I learn that saturated fat is good, so I started eating again, and right now I'm putting it on everything and loving it.

But I do have a couple of minor health issues that I'm thinking could be caused by dairy, so I'm considering cutting it of my diet for awhile ... but it's gonna be hard giving up cheese especially since it seems like I've just rediscovered it =P
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast