Thread: Dandelions page

ny2001miata is offline Junior Member

Dandelions

Primal Fuel
    Anybody eat Dandelions? I'm thinking of adding them to my salads and stuff. I'll harvest some before I cut the lawn this weekend. They're free and very nutritious I hear.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I've had lawn ones and storebought ones. I've only had them cooked, like greens: yummy stuff.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Had them raw in a salad, very nice actually! But go for the younger leaves from the centre of the rosette.
    Also, beware the...medicinal effects. Old name = "Pissabed".....

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I eat the greens, but not when they are too old. I also eat the blossoms. I just fry them up a bit in butter. Add whatever you feel like----pepper, garlic powder, sage, etc. Whatever comes to hand when I reach into the spice shelf. The root is a pretty powerful diuretic.

I try to avoid dandelions from yards where many dogs travel because they always seem to aim for them when they micturate.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    With the flowers, you can make Diana Renata's Dandelion Fritters! I've only ever eaten the greens, myself.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Also, beware the...medicinal effects. Old name = "Pissabed".....
    That's wicked funny!

We used to harvest them ourselves, grew up on them. They can be bitter but not bad. Can't say I go out of my way anymore to gather them though.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the plug Mayness!

Fritters are my favorite way to enjoy dandelions, except for wine of course. If you gather wild greens you'll want to get them before the flowers appear, or you'll have very bitter greens. The bitterness can be cooked out of them for the most part, however.