Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Coast Grass Fed Beef is No Good page

aaronjab is offline Junior Member

East Coast Grass Fed Beef is No Good

Primal Fuel
    ...at least that's what the guy selling his 'Grass & Grain' fed angus said at the farmers market. He said the grass on the east coast is too 'moist' and goes right through the cattle. "That's why the buffalo weren't roaming over here. The west coast grass is drier and produces better beef." His angus is 'marbleized' because he supplements their diet with grain, whereas the pure grass fed stuff over here is stringy and tough. What do you guys think? Any truth to this or just a merchant trying to push product?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I think he's trying to sell you his beef.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Umm, wet grass does tend to make for odd manure, but it is mainly during the spring season when the grass is really rich. I get grass fed locally and the steaks are less tender, but still good.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Totally bogus. Here in NC cattle become fat yummy beasts on 1 acre : 1 cow, which was nothing like the kind of range needed on the cattle ranch where I grew up in California. And there weren't buffalo because there isn't large grassland, there are TREES. You have to clear out the trees in the east to make space for cows to live.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

janie is offline Senior Member
    The buffalo weren't roaming on the east coast b/c it was primarily forest until the white man arrived and started cutting down trees.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    and rocky forests at that.

am surprised he brags about the grain supplement though since that's one of the slams against cafo beef, not being what an herbivore is designed to digest..
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The customers of East Coast grass-fed beef growers would be surprised to hear that.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Actually I believe some bison did roam here in the east. But that was before Europeans arrived. The native peoples kept large areas open and unforested with controlled burns.

aaronjab is offline Junior Member
    I thought it sounded fishy too, based on everything I've read. I'm not trying to start a Biggie vs Tupac feud here or anything. (What's Beef?)... However, I wonder if there is a distinction between east coast vs west coast grass fed cattle.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjab View Post
    I thought it sounded fishy too, based on everything I've read. I'm not trying to start a Biggie vs Tupac feud here or anything. (What's Beef?)... However, I wonder if there is a distinction between east coast vs west coast grass fed cattle.
    We could put together a database of producers and then the experimenter could travel around in an RV buying steaks and taking notes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast