Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: East Coast Grass Fed Beef is No Good

Shop Now
    I thought he was going to say the nutrient profile was better. That is the only reason I buy grass-fed.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    We could put together a database of producers and then the experimenter could travel around in an RV buying steaks and taking notes.
    May I volunteer for this job?
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

In my experience, grass-fed beef is tougher than grain-fed. I just assumed that it's because grass-fed cows are naturally leaner so there's less intramuscular fat.

You're correct. There used to be a eastern woodland variety that became extinct during the expansion of the original colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    We could put together a database of producers and then the experimenter could travel around in an RV buying steaks and taking notes.
    Between the gas and the price of grass-fed beef I would need some federal funding. But I am willing to put in the time.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think he's trying to sell you his beef.
    Indeed.

Shop Rite often has whole grassfed beef tenderloin imported from Australia for $6.99/lb. It was actually on sale last week for that price. It isn't stringy. It isn't as tender as a grainfed beef tenderloin, that is true, but it is so much more flavorful it is unbelievable. USDA beef is flat and tasteless by comparison.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Learn More
    That seller is putting you on, big time. Yes, I find grass-fed beef to be less tender also but with more flavor. But I think a lot of the difference is in the aging. Commercial beef is wet-aged usually 3 days. Several grass-fed beef farmers will dry-age their beef for you and sometimes will do it up to a full week. That will be tender beef. A rancher in Montana dry-ages his grass-fed beef for 8 days for very pricey restaurants.

If you get grass-fed beef that is not aged at all it is really, really tough, but any beef would be.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase