Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar is not Paleo? page

tekshow is offline Junior Member

Vinegar is not Paleo?

Shop Now
    Ok, so I know it's a more recent Kitchen staple, but are all Vinegars off the table?

I saw a blog from Mark that said it was primal. Another few sources on the web say it isn't. Dave Asprey said regular vinegar and ACV was all good.

What does the PB forum think?
    Living the dream - One life at a time!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    White (refined may be iffy in the primal world, but it's essentially plain and absolutely fine to use) or raw ACV (it is actually fermented) would be your safest bets. I would be curious as to the reasoning for it not being primal. Flavored and balsamic vinegar are often loaded with artificial flavoring and sugar, so beware the ingredients labels & source (for any vinegar). True balsamic vinegar is aged for many years.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Vinegar is good. ACV has many healthy properties. Balsamic adds lots of flavor to salads and makes good addition to marinades. Enjoy good food. No need to micro manage that much.
    No one on Earth at present day can reenact mythical Grok's eating.

It's just vinegar, not deep fried KFC.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I use lots. The acidity will slow digestion and extend satiety to a degree. I've never heard of negative health effects apart from the additives.

Balsamic is my least favorite flavor though.
    I use white wine for cold stuff, rice for sauté, malt for potatoes. I read coconut vinegar has some probiotic value but I haven't tried it yet.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

tekshow is offline Junior Member
    Thank goodness! It seemed okay for me I've been using ACV instead of apple juice and sugars to create bbq sauces, salad dressings and for smoking things like baby back ribs, etc...

Saved the day! Thanks for the input...
    Living the dream - One life at a time!

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekshow View Post
    I saw a blog from Mark that said it was primal.
    Of course it's not primal - it's a manufactured substance.

But the standard rule applies - if you like it, and it doesn't do bad things to you, go ahead and eat it!

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Of course it's not primal - it's a manufactured substance.

But the standard rule applies - if you like it, and it doesn't do bad things to you, go ahead and eat it!
    Vinegar is not manufactured. Balsamic is made from grape must aged in oak barrels. It's best to get organic so there are no added sulphites. Apple cider vinegar is made in a similar way. Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and raw coconut vinegar are also awesome.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Vinegar is not manufactured. Balsamic is made from grape must aged in oak barrels.
    Harvest grapes. Crush grapes. Collect juice. Boil juice. Build barrels. Store boiled juice in barrels....

And this isn't even touching the issue that the grapes the stuff is made from are themselves recent hybridization and quite unlike their grow-in-the-wild cousins. Or the reality that to get any kind of decent quantities of the stuff, you have to plant unnatural monoculture plots of grapes.

I love the stuff and use it regularly, but sorry, vinegar is a manufactured product.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    by that metric so is butter. sheesh.

fermentation is a totally natural process.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Collect grapes and store in open air vat. Wait a week and you will have wine, and soon after vinegar. And lots of fruit flies…

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast