Thread: Need advice page

samold55 is offline Junior Member

Need advice

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys im 22 I tried the paleo diet for a month and felt really good. Im a personal trainer and thought I was eating healthy all the time you know the wholemeal bread, cereal s and pasta etc...I had pretty bad acne and my energy levels werec really bad and I was feeling pretty depressed all the time. I then tried paleo and my spots went straight away I felt good clear headed and felt really good digestively. Sometimes though my energy levels are rubbish and I feel tired im a competitive boxer snd my job is very physical. I tried porridge the other morning and it gave me stomach cramps for 6 hours and it was gluten free ! I love porridge and love that full feeling it gives me but obviously it doesn't agree with me. So what can I do to make my energy levels better and do you think im definitely gluten intolerant ? The only diary products I do well on is good quality natural yogurt.

My diet looks like this. Im also 6ft and way 75 kg.

Breakfast
    4 eggs
    strawberries
    blueberries
    natural yougurt

lunch
    chicken
    salad
    olive oil

snack
    nuts
    fruit

dinner
    fish
    veggies
    walnut oil as a dressing.

What could I add to bring the energy levels up ?

Thank you.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samold55 View Post

What could I add to bring the energy levels up ?

Thank you.
    meat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Steak. Sweet potatoes. avocadoes. I bet there is no way you are getting enough calories for what you do off of that food list.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Your menu looks good for rest days but intense activity requires more carbohydrate. Nontoxic carbohydrates include roots (potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, beets), starchy fruits (squashes and plantains), and a select few seeds (rice, chestnuts, peas). Experiment with a dose of these between workouts to replenish glycogen--they should not cause the same reaction as wheat or oat products.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    STARCH. Basically what picklepete said.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

samold55 is offline Junior Member
    Okay so what kind of carbs would be best for breakfast and is there s certain anount of carbs I should aim for a day ?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Any starchy (non-grain) carb would be good at breakfast. I would recommend you check out the book that this forum is built from. I think you should eat until you feel good.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tekshow is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am no health expert. I am a personal training, but not in the sense you are: I teach martial arts, boxing, and functional movements, grok style. As someone who can relate, I usually work out with several of my clients throughout the day and rooms full of students.

WE NEED FUEL!

I don't have any carbs for breakfast and I focus mainly on fats and SOME protein. I've switched my morning to the Bulletproof method and I have to say I absolutely love it. It's basically pour over coffee with 2 tablespoons of grass fed (only!) butter. I metabolize it like a champ since I'm usually in keytosis. Then I might have an Avacado (more fat) and two eggs. (some protein)

For lunch I double up the protein and have something like pasture raised bacon, grass fed hamburger or steak, or some other dose of high protein. yesterday I had grass fed beef short ribs, argula salad with cold pressed olive oil, lemon, and a pile of cooked broccoli.

For snack I had a bite of raw sharp cheddar, and some raw walnuts.

Dinner was sweet potatoes pan fried in more grass fed butter with dinosaur kale and plenty of leeks, aside some pasture raised pork sausage.

I don't know if everyone is going to say it's "right" but putting more fats into my diet on top of my protein has given me loads and loads of energy. Also I'm putting more protein on my plate than you've got there throughout the day, and if it's anything like mine you're working out and moving a little more than just for your personal workouts.

Also, a lot of people don't recommend "natural yogurt" because it's not raw or unpasteurized among other detriments. That could be part of the problem too...
    Living the dream - One life at a time!