Thread: No Gallbladder! Am I not getting the optimal PB Benefits? page

lmn62 is offline Junior Member

No Gallbladder! Am I not getting the optimal PB Benefits?

Shop Now
    I read an article Mark wrote about how you process fat when you have had your gallbladder out. His indication to the woman he was referring to is that she should eat less animal fat and more from other sources. She was having digestive issues eating PB because of fat. I am not having any problems in that regard and am enjoying my animal fat. I have copied the pertinent parts of this article below. Now I'm confused: Am I not getting all the benefits of PB if I am eating lots of animal fat? Any help would be appreciated.

The gallbladder is a storage facility for bile produced by the liver. It also serves to concentrate the bile during storage, making it more potent. When fat is consumed, the gallbladder releases bile into the small intestine to help emulsify the fat. Once emulsified by bile into much smaller droplets, fat can then be more easily digested by lipase (the fat-digesting enzyme). Without emulsification, the fat globules remain large and mostly inaccessible by lipase. Emulsification increases the surface area of the globules and allows greater access and more complete digestion. So, although your liver will still produce bile without a gallbladder, it will no longer be concentrated in the gallbladder and super potent.

So yes, when it comes down to it, you simply don’t have as much fat-digesting equipment as most people. That’s fine, and you can still eat healthy and Primal, but it does mean your ideal macronutrient ratio may look slightly different from mine or the next person’s. Don’t think you have to eat the quantities of fat promoted by others. I like the high-fat approach for myself and most other people coming from a Standard American Diet, simply because it seems to work best. You have to work with what you’ve got. You can’t try to replicate what others are doing because those people aren’t you and they aren’t dealing with your situation. You may – gasp – have to eat less fat than you thought you would be eating on a Primal eating plan. As long as you stick to the basics – animals, plants, good fats – and avoid grains, refined sugar, and processed seed oils, you’ll do great. Heck, it seems like you’re already doing great. Tweak the fat, carb, and protein ratios until it works for you, and don’t get caught up in any kind of perceived “ideal macro ratio.”

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    If you're not having any problems, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. Maybe you're dialed in to good ratios and your digestion responds well to your choices. Don't fix what's not broken.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    If you're not having any problems, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. Maybe you're dialed in to good ratios and your digestion responds well to your choices. Don't fix what's not broken.
    Exactly. I don't have a gall bladder and I eat about 50% fat. Most people who have their gall bladder out before drawn-out symptoms never notice it again... my ER visit and surgery had me down like 36 hours total, that was the extent of me ever noticing my gall bladder, true story. The people who have problems are the ones that you hear about, those of us for whom it was like a stop at Jiffy Lube don't ever talk about it.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Yep, had to have mine out at 23. Not really noticed any issues. Occasionally it will sting a little there, but I think it might be phantom pains.

Hell, I was able to eat greasy ass fast food and pizza afterwards, no problem. Two days ago, I downed a whole pint of cream. Not an issue to be found.

M.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I don't have one and am having no problems with 65% fats. I was worried at first. If you are having problems after trying it, take Ox Bile to supplement your own bile.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I have no gall bladder and and can eat 70% fat and sometimes more when I track, don't have any digestive issues and don't lose tons of weight doing so so assume I'm getting the energy from the food. I however don't get that really satisfied feeling I used to get from a fatty meal, so I do wonder if the realeasing of bile from the gall bladder somehow sends out a satisfaction signal??? Probably, hormones are complicated and jolly interesting things that have all sorts of feed back and signaling loops.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................