Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight on 2000+ cal Intake page

Allenete is offline Senior Member

Losing Weight on 2000+ cal Intake

Primal Fuel
    first off, I'm sorry to all those people struggling with losing weight, I know it annoys them when I pose an issue such as unwanted weight loss!

Right - so I'm at the weight I want to be (or rather the size I want to be). I'm working on building muscle. I've found it very hard to eat real, whole food, past the 1700cal count. Over the last month I'm managing 2000.
    Over the last 2 weeks, I've had a fair few days where I've eaten over 2000. I've had days of 3000. And I've lost a kilo (2lb...?) in 2 weeks, and another pound 4 weeks before that.

I feel fine, fantastic actually. I don't think I've lost muscle from what I can feel. It actually feels like more muscle but I weigh less??

Anyway I hope there is nothing wrong and I'm just under eating. Is it possible for a 5"8, under 140ish lb female to need between 2500-3000cal for just maintenance? I often hear its very very active men who eat that much.

I'm not a great believer if CICO but I do use calories to gauge an idea of how much I'm eating. In tracking my macros on MyFitnessPal and inadvertently can see my calorie intake.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    CICO isn't 100% accurate, but for most people it has some bearing on reality. So what do your CICO measures say you should eat?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    There is a massive amount of threads with the following... "Eating 1200 cals and exercising daily but still gaining weight, help"

And your here doing the opposite and losing weight. Something fishy happening with CICO.

The only thing I can think of is all these extra cals your eating might be firing up your metabolism.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    No, it makes perfect sense if you have calories as a line and and metabolic rate as a curve, and weight loss as a band of distance between those two items. (Setting zero as the WHO line for primary starvation.)
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    I may be getting you mixed up with someone else here ( hope not) but aren't you into kickboxing and martial arts sports?
    Would all the activity not account for the weight loss?
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    How much activity are you doing per day?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    What's your carbohydrate intake? How often do you exercise?

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Help me, I am eating as much delicious food as I want but I keep losing fat and gaining muscle! This is a problem because of a theory about energy that I read on the internet! Might I become TOO good looking and healthty?

Seriously, if you are eating what you want and experiencing positive results, don't worry about what the USDA's calorie theory says should happen, just enjoy the results of real primal food and lifestyle. Some of the more militant calorie counters in the paleo world will fight this to the death, and I expect this thread to devolve into dozens of pages of silly arguments that we have seen a hundred times, but many people eat MUCH more calories than the theory says they should and lose significant amounts of fat while gaining muscle. Some people don't, but if you are in the former group then just enjoy it.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    You're pretty young and active, right? I'm middle-aged and not very active and even I'm finding my calorie needs on real food are higher than most online calculators. Somebody's got to fill out that part of the bell curve. It could be worse. You could be at the other end wondering why you can't get down to a "healthy" weight on 1200 calories per day.

I have a teenage daughter who plays team sports, so I know a lot of young women. Some of them are underweight according to the charts, despite eating as much as or more than their peers. They look fine - healthy and strong enough to play sports. Maybe your natural weight is also down near the healthy/under weight cut off. It could be that as you drop down another 5-10lbs you'll find your appetite naturally increasing. I think if you drift down to 125 and still don't want much more than 1700 cals, at that point you might want to see a Dr to rule out something serious. However, if the look you have at 140 is really important to you, you may have to eat more than you'd prefer.

Actually, it could be too that these few lbs under 140 are just a temporary fluctuation with no explanation and 2 months from now you'll be worrying that you've crept up to 141 despite not changing your eating habits. I've been tracking calories and weighing myself daily for over a year now and it can be completely mystifying.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Sounds right to me if you are active. I'm 5'2 and when I am consistent with exercise, I lose steadily on 2500-2800/day, but I have it to lose! The Harris-Benedict equation would say a moderately to very active female with your stats does maintain on the range you mentioned. Also, certain foods have higher thermal effects, which is another factor. Needing that amount of calories is normal for an active female, needing to starve on 1200 calories plus tons of exercise is suggestive of something being wrong metabolically.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast