Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: This is news? page

  1. #1
    Huarache Gal's Avatar
    Huarache Gal is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    355

    This is news?

    Shop Now
    Americans exercising more, not losing much.

    To shed more pounds, the focus must be on diet, say experts.

    I thought this was common knowledge, but maybe not.

    Americans exercising more, not losing much | Nation/World News | Idahostatesman.com

  2. #2
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,372
    If you go to any diet site, you will find people convinced that the key to weight loss is grinding through crazy amounts of exercise, that no diet will work unless you do loads of exercise. Especially chronic cardio, the more the better.

    And drink more water, too. Because the more water you drink, the more fat you lose.

    Pathetic.

  3. #3
    Stacy15's Avatar
    Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    607
    And people tend to think if they exercise they can 'splurge' because they worked out. What most don't realize is that the 20-30 minute session on the elliptical maybe burned 200-300 calories at most.

  4. #4
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    And people tend to think if they exercise they can 'splurge' because they worked out. What most don't realize is that the 20-30 minute session on the elliptical maybe burned 200-300 calories at most.
    They don't "tend to think" it. They know in their hearts that if they get 300 calories of exercise, they need to replace those extra calories to keep them from going into the starvation mode.

  5. #5
    Stacy15's Avatar
    Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    They don't "tend to think" it. They know in their hearts that if they get 300 calories of exercise, they need to replace those extra calories to keep them from going into the starvation mode.
    Made me think of some overweight co-workers who used to join me at the gym over lunch hour. They would walk on treadmill, or get on elliptical machine and talk the entire time barely breaking a sweat (which is fine, they are moving). Come 3pm that day and someone would come around with cookies or cake, the typical response would be "I worked out today, so I can have some".

  6. #6
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,715
    It's very hard to out-train a crappy diet, but a dieter can allow himself “more” if exercising hard and when getting leaner…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

  7. #7
    MEversbergII's Avatar
    MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Made me think of some overweight co-workers who used to join me at the gym over lunch hour. They would walk on treadmill, or get on elliptical machine and talk the entire time barely breaking a sweat (which is fine, they are moving). Come 3pm that day and someone would come around with cookies or cake, the typical response would be "I worked out today, so I can have some".
    I used to do that as well. Took a circuit training course, ended up going to subway like every day after and chowing a footlong flatbread. Glad that was years behind!

    M.

  8. #8
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,489
    The thing is that it actually does work. My boyfriend likes to plan periodic extreme hikes or backpack trips. He brings tools and works the trail. He always loses weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •