Thread: This is news? page

Huarache Gal is online now Senior Member

This is news?

Shop Now
    Americans exercising more, not losing much.

To shed more pounds, the focus must be on diet, say experts.

I thought this was common knowledge, but maybe not.

Americans exercising more, not losing much | Nation/World News | Idahostatesman.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you go to any diet site, you will find people convinced that the key to weight loss is grinding through crazy amounts of exercise, that no diet will work unless you do loads of exercise. Especially chronic cardio, the more the better.

And drink more water, too. Because the more water you drink, the more fat you lose.

Pathetic.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    And people tend to think if they exercise they can 'splurge' because they worked out. What most don't realize is that the 20-30 minute session on the elliptical maybe burned 200-300 calories at most.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    And people tend to think if they exercise they can 'splurge' because they worked out. What most don't realize is that the 20-30 minute session on the elliptical maybe burned 200-300 calories at most.
    They don't "tend to think" it. They know in their hearts that if they get 300 calories of exercise, they need to replace those extra calories to keep them from going into the starvation mode.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    They don't "tend to think" it. They know in their hearts that if they get 300 calories of exercise, they need to replace those extra calories to keep them from going into the starvation mode.
    Made me think of some overweight co-workers who used to join me at the gym over lunch hour. They would walk on treadmill, or get on elliptical machine and talk the entire time barely breaking a sweat (which is fine, they are moving). Come 3pm that day and someone would come around with cookies or cake, the typical response would be "I worked out today, so I can have some".

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    It's very hard to out-train a crappy diet, but a dieter can allow himself “more” if exercising hard and when getting leaner…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Made me think of some overweight co-workers who used to join me at the gym over lunch hour. They would walk on treadmill, or get on elliptical machine and talk the entire time barely breaking a sweat (which is fine, they are moving). Come 3pm that day and someone would come around with cookies or cake, the typical response would be "I worked out today, so I can have some".
    I used to do that as well. Took a circuit training course, ended up going to subway like every day after and chowing a footlong flatbread. Glad that was years behind!

M.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The thing is that it actually does work. My boyfriend likes to plan periodic extreme hikes or backpack trips. He brings tools and works the trail. He always loses weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2