Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suprising article, omega 3 / fish oil supplements lead to cancer... page 2

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Here is just one of a million question I would like to ask the researchers....

Is it possible that a coorelation between high blood levels of O3 and prostate cancer are more a product of an individuals incapacity to properly process said O3 due to other various lifestyle and genetic factors or do you really think all of these people are eating this much fish and taking these many supplements? I actually would find the former (reduced capacity to properly process PUFA due to other lifestyle related injury) to be more likely. So these higher circulating O3 levels in these individuals are just a downstream effect of metabolic and liver disease that predisposes the person to cancer.

^I'll admit thats all just me shooting from the hip. But, I think you do have to consider these high levels in several ways.
    Neckhammer that was my question as well. Or, since a history of tests is not available, does that cancer cause the high levels?

But go gently on Hutch. The do great work, and they have to have financial relationships with drug companies because the way the market is structured it is the drug companies that develop the cancer drugs that make people with cancer not die. Another member of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance was responsible for a silly cute viral video last year I think it was - Stronger | Seattle Childrens Hospital - YouTube

Disclosure: I have never had a financial relationship with Hutch, but I have been involved in projects that involved them.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I think it's important to consider all the possible confounding factors in this study, like the one NH pointed out.

I did get halfway through Peat's anti-omega-3 article, and he pointed out that most of it becomes oxidized before it hits your blood stream. Funny cuz it was something that I was concerned about in college. One of my college profs was very pro-omega-3, and I always wondered if it would oxidize at body temperature (in the stomach). Anyway, I'm kinda concerned about this, but, as of right now, I still supplement with omega-3s. I take a Jarrow formula DHA capsules AND fermented CLO/butter oil. My bf has a different brand that's a nice lemon flavor that I steal from time to time so if anyone is overkilling it with the omega-3, it would be me.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Yeah, I just bought a liquid vitamin D supplement, and chose the one in soybean oil over fish oil! Not ideal, but the lesser of two evils. Wish they did one in Vitamin E oil...
    If I may make a recommendation:

Country Life Vitamin D3 -- 5000 IU - 200 Softgels - Vitacost

Other Ingredients: Medium chain triglycerides, [gelatin, glycerin, purified water (capsule shell)]

This is a fantastic supplement and it is packed in medium chain triglycerides. Also, the Vitamin D in the supplement is from lanolin. Many D supplements take their Vitamin D from cod liver oil, which is highly toxic and why you may find fish oil a carrier for many D supplements.. I will not take Vitamin D derived from fish.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    I get mine in virgin olive oil.

Innate Choice - The Essential Nutrient System
    I like the EVOO carrier - will have to check out. Used to take this one, w/ sesame oil

Biotics Research Bio-D-Mulsion Vitamin D3 -- 1 fl oz - Vitacost

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf's take on this - Does Fish oil cause prostate Cancer?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    I was going to comment over there but it was facebook and I try to keep realname and loafingcactus in their own spaces...

An-y-way: His point #6 about it being a very thin line on supposed dose is interesting because this was the same issue from the Spanish "Mediterranean Diet Study" of a couple of months ago. Supposed fish has this AMAZING effect... at an average dose of about one serving every three weeks. Um, sure.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    Seems he's put together many of the same thoughts that popped up in my mind.

Funny story. As I was in the gym this story is hitting the news. I walked past some tv's with it playing. The media cracks me up sometimes. When they get their hooks into something they can really twist away.

Anyhow, in honor of the O3 scare (actually my wife knew nothing of any of this).... my wife made tuna for lunch and we are having salmon for dinner. Double POW!..... Oh, my prostate hurts just thinking about it.

To offset the obvious damage I'm doing to my prostate my wifes gonna have to take one (or about 5 a week if you follow the studies) for the team. You know what I'm talking bout

noodletoy is online now Senior Member

To offset the obvious damage I'm doing to my prostate my wifes gonna have to take one (or about 5 a week if you follow the studies) for the team. You know what I'm talking bout
    lol. i like to remind the b/f that i "do it" only out of altruistic concern for his prostate health. seems to be working so far.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be taking fish oil supp if it didn't make me feel so much better. I notice difference in my mood and sense of overall well being if I stop taking it for just a few days in a row. And my n6 intake is very low too.
    I get Norwegian sourced Carlson's and always keep it in the fridge.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I wouldn't be taking fish oil supp if it didn't make me feel so much better. I notice difference in my mood and sense of overall well being if I stop taking it for just a few days in a row. And my n6 intake is very low too.
    I get Norwegian sourced Carlson's and always keep it in the fridge.
    When taking fish oil, apparently the reason people feel an instant improvement in wellbeing is because it suppresses the immune system and thus reduces the body's inflammatory response. In other words: it reduces inflammation (which makes you feel good) but this is as a result of lowering the immune system (bad long term).

I do eat fish though - I don't think real fish and fish oils should be in the same category... it's like comparing fructose with HFCS.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast