Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist shoes for sports (soccer) and hiking. page

zariuq is offline Junior Member

Cool Minimalist shoes for sports (soccer) and hiking.

Shop Now
    I'm looking for simple, comfortable shoes that can be used to play sports like soccer near-daily and for hiking.

I can't really stand all the cra-- features many normal shoes have. They bug me and feel like a drag.

I tried some VFFs a few years ago, but I didn't like them much.

I got some leather-soled moccasins. They are incredibly awesome. The feeling of the earth through them is indescribably good (oh so heavenly). I can run and move very naturally in them, and they provide just enough protection: I can feel and enjoy the rocks under my feet without any of the pain (or are my feet just not tough enough :b?).

The soles finally started breaking after 6 months of running around on a sandy courtyard playing sports. I discovered, unsurprisingly, that leather soles really suck in the rain. They have far less grip than bare-feet do too. Hmm, the one other problem is that it's somewhat awkward kicking a soccer ball in them -- and they may come off when doing so or when sprinting (mostly alleviated by tightening them).

They were very good and raised my standards for shoe comfort. However, due to the latter problem, they aren't quite perfect, and I'm not going to run out and get rubber-soled moccasins >.<.

(Hmm, the only other really good pair of shoes I remember having were construction boots. I suppose they are no-bullshit shoes, so they don't have many 'features'.)

I am scared of getting shoes with mesh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I fear a twig could easily tear a hole in the mesh when hiking.

My priorities are: 1) comfort, 2) mobility (including kicking balls), 3) durability, 4) ability to feel the ground.

(Oh, yeah, my feet are a little bit wide)

I'm not trying to be that picky (maybe I should!).

What sort of shoes would you advise me?

(Thank you in advance BD)
    Last edited by zariuq; 07-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Huarache Gal is online now Senior Member
    If you want something without mesh, check out Vivobarefoot Hybrid Golf. They're pricey though:
    Hybrid Golf Mens - Off Road - Mens

If you're willing to try mesh/material, I would suggest the Neo Trail or Breatho Trail (they are often on sale on Left Lane Sports and the Clymb)
    Neo Trail Mens - Off Road - Mens
    Breatho Trail Mens - Off Road - Mens

If your feet aren't very wide, you might be able to get away with these from Inov-8:
    Inov-8 Bare-Grip 200 Men's Shoes Lime/Black

Vivobarefoot's site indicates they are available in Japan, but I couldn't get the Japan locations to load.

zariuq is offline Junior Member
    Hmm, the material used in the Neo Trail doesn't look that weak. I'm only against mesh because I"m scared of it being torn by sticks 'n stuff when walking in the woods.

Heh, Vivobarefoot's shoes seemed like the nicest bet for me when I was looking around on my own too.

Thanks for the advice [Yeah, they're definitely available somewhere here >.<]

Tre-E_Alex is offline Junior Member
    zariuq,

I recently purchased a set of the NB minimus zero trail shoes. Minimus-Zero-Trail/MT00
    These are pretty comfortable. I use my VFF's a lot and I really like these shoes. The other advantage is that they offer wide shoes. I was able to go down a few sizes (10 to 8.5 4E) and they fit great. They have a vibram sole, which is good. There are complaints of getting worn down quickly but for $50 (what I paid) its worth the experiment. The other shoes look good as well.

D+C
    D+C is offline Junior Member
    Are you playing football in actual matches? Because I would have thought studs are going to be your biggest barrier! Both refs insisting you wear them and other players potentially standing on your unprotected feet with steel studs. Be interested to know what solution you end up with!

helpbaga is offline Junior Member
    Vivobarefoot's shoes seemed like the nicest bet for me when I was looking around on my own too.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I have the vivo trails for hiking and I love the way they fit. Not sure I would wear them for something like soccer...

Red_5 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-E_Alex View Post
    zariuq,

I recently purchased a set of the NB minimus zero trail shoes. Minimus-Zero-Trail/MT00
    These are pretty comfortable. I use my VFF's a lot and I really like these shoes. The other advantage is that they offer wide shoes. I was able to go down a few sizes (10 to 8.5 4E) and they fit great. They have a vibram sole, which is good. There are complaints of getting worn down quickly but for $50 (what I paid) its worth the experiment. The other shoes look good as well.
    I also have a pair of the NB Minimus and so far so good. I've had them for a couple of week and my only complaint is that the sole seems to be wearing quickly. Fortunately I also only paid $50 for mine. I'm considering going and getting a second pair.

Tre-E_Alex is offline Junior Member
    Red5,

Same here on the soles. Seem to be but I like them. I also got them for 50, I would have got two but they didn't have my size

latethank is offline Junior Member
    Vivobarefoot's shoes seemed like the nicest bet for me when I was looking around on my own too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast