Thread: Is there an app for that? page

mike is offline Senior Member

Is there an app for that?

in my spare time I make apps for Mac OSX. I'm thinking of making an app for Mac and iPad/iPhone for tracking food and exercise. there's a bunch of these out there already as well as websites like paleotrack, fitday etc but I was thinking of making something with more of a PB twist to it. Maybe I'd include trackers for your mood, how much play time you had each day, how much sun, etc. Useful? Useless?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Um...that's an enormous undertaking. So you have a team of developers or something because just the database building alone is bound to be huge. As you said, there are a million apps like this already, I personally wouldn't bother. I don't see how else you can put a PB twist on it...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Sol blackcat is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like a great idea mike, go for it!
    Good luck.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to see something that has proper tracking for strength training rather than the usual ones which put you down for a million kcals for an hour of jogging and 5 kcals for an hour lifting weights (ok, I'm exaggerating I know, but you get my drift).

AlexRobson is offline Junior Member
    I would buy that app, if it had a way of tracking what you ate, how many push ups, squats etc. if the app was able to track everything to do with PB it would be phenominal!

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Um...that's an enormous undertaking. So you have a team of developers or something because just the database building alone is bound to be huge. As you said, there are a million apps like this already, I personally wouldn't bother. I don't see how else you can put a PB twist on it...
    Nope, its just little 'ol me but I'd probably hire someone to do the artwork. I think I can get most of the nutrition info from the USDA database and there's probably one for exercise and calorie expenditure too. I figure that most people who want to count calories and nutritional info are probably already doing it with some other app, but they may not like the way it works - like what spuggygirl said. Maybe I can make one the way primal people think. that's why I was thinking of a way to include logging of your health on a day to day basis, so it could be a tool to help with n=1 experiments. You might be able to see, for example, that on days when your carb intake is too low that you also log that you had headaches those days or your were low on energy.

Maybe thats my angle - a tool to help with self experimentation

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Maybe have the capability to rank stress on a subjective scale and also to enter types and durations of stress-control activities like meditation.

I think that you ought to make your app. Go for it. The worst that is likely to happen is that the App store won't carry it. The second worst is that nobody buys it.

And people other than primal people might like it if it can be used for things like, for example, migraine tracking.

Now I'm thinking of an app that doesn't track calories but enables you to track selected food items and aspects of your health on a day to day basis, so that you can see correlations between what you eat and your health. for example, if you suspect that you may have an allergy to dairy you would select the 'dairy' keyword on days you eat dairy products. You'd also track aspects of your health, for example nausea or diarrhea, headaches etc. After a few days you might be able to see a correlation between the days that you eat dairy and days you have diarrhea. You would be able to set up trackers for anything you want. You could set up a tracker for migraines and for wheat, red wine and eggs. You might discover after a few days or weeks of tracking those things, that the migraines come on whenever you have red wine.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That sounds like a very useful app, Mike. Can you make it so that one can define their own foods or additives to watch, in addition to the list of common ones I assume you will include?

Also, is it possible to have the app get weather information from the hearest weather station so you can see if weather affects your health, or is that asking too much for an app?