Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep page

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member

Sleep

Primal Fuel
    Since going primal about 4-5 weeks ago, much to my annoyance i am really struggling to sleep. I get 4 hours if im lucky and spend most of the day like a zombie, yet, physically i feel good, just mentally drained. Any ideas why?

Maybe its the hot weather, im not sure, but i love my sleep
    6'6" male

SW: 286lbs/130kg/20st 8lbs
    CW: 281 lbs/127.7kg/20st 1lb
    TW:216lbs/98kg/15st 6lbs

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Not enough carbs / not enough food.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Try to get 30g of resistant starch daily. There is a bit of "fartage" at the beginning as the bacteria feeding on them in your colon are growing in number but it usually abates after a while. Sleep is much improved with RS. See this for good sources:
    Low GI Mashed Potatoes! and the Resistant Starch Content of Foods | Free The Animal

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    No constructive suggestions here...just sympathy. I've struggled with bad sleep for years - tried pretty much everything...including the starch...nothing seems to work. I'm the same as you - physically my energy is pretty damned good, but I struggle with concentrations...also much worse in the mornings. I always seem to pick up mid afternoon and into the evening.

Thanks for the suggestions, but i am eating enough and the carb intake is adequate for a low carb lifestyle - fruit, veggies, occasioal 85% cocoa choc blah blah blah...

Spuggygirl - i am worse in the mornings too, just seems my alarm clock goes off just as i drift into a deep sleep - very annoying! Thing is i am knackered by bedtime and drift off to sleep pretty much immediately, but 1 or 2 hours in, im awake and struggle massively to get back to the land of nod. I have a cold atm, so ill see if things improve over the next week i guess...
    6'6" male

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I was talking about RESISTANT starch, that's not carbs that you digest but that goes straight down to your colon and is fermented by the good bugs in there. That's a whole different story than just eating veggies, fruits and dark choc. Resistant starch is quite a "blind spot" in the whole primal / paleo community.

How many carbs a day do you eat?

Honestly, I had chronic insomnia for eight years. It all started when I became vegetarian. The worst it ever was was when I was low carb vegetarian. But when I ate meat and was low carb, it was also rough.

I realise that for me to sleep properly I have to eat a high carb diet with adequate protein. Nowadays I get about 300g carbs a day (from mostly fruit) and I sleep like a baby.

Gelatine before bed also helps. But honestly, I could give you a huge arsenal of tips to sleep better, but if your bad sleep has only started since going low carb I bet this is your problem.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-11-2013 at 04:31 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I've not tried the gelatin - thanks YogaBare...what's the theory behind this, and how much?

i eat between 130-150g of carbs a day, and hi carb is no go for me as im diabetic.
    6'6" male

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    I've not tried the gelatin - thanks YogaBare...what's the theory behind this, and how much?
    No worries Gelatin contains glycine, which is a non-essential amino acid, and an inhibitory neurotransmitter. It's known to decrease anxiety and to promote restorative sleep.

Make some kind of hot drink with two tablespoons of gelatine, and ideally some honey (Honey also promotes sleep). Make sure the gelatine comes from beef, not pigs (healthier). I use a brand called Knox but you can't get it in the UK. Dr. Oetker does a beef gelatine.

But honestly, the gelatine doesn't do a whole lot if you aren't getting adequate nutrition apart from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    i eat between 130-150g of carbs a day, and hi carb is no go for me as im diabetic.

I getcha. Are you looking at it in the context of reducing insulin spikes? Eating your carbs at night would help with the sleep.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-11-2013 at 04:49 AM.

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast