Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sleep page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Go to freetheanimal.com and read everything you can about RS including comments. There is one guy in particular nicknamed "tatertot" who has written A LOT of info about it in the comment section of all RS related articles. One guy recently added some info about cinnamon. It is really well studied actually and every diabetic should know this!

EDIT: here is the cinnamon study -> Cinnamon improves glucose and lipids of people... [Diabetes Care. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI
    Thanks for the info dkJames! I have looked into RS too much, but I believe there's something to it. Starch doesn't appear to be my friend, but I can eat sushi just fine, and I hypothesised it's cos' of the RS aspect.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks for the info dkJames! I have looked into RS too much, but I believe there's something to it. Starch doesn't appear to be my friend, but I can eat sushi just fine, and I hypothesised it's cos' of the RS aspect.
    Yes, cooked and cooled rice has more RS but from what I read, it depends on the rice type and cooking method ... it almost impossible to easily measure how much RS a food contain. Buckwheat flour also has RS. The type you find in raw food is RS2. The cooked and cooled one is RS3 (retrograded RS2). You have quite less RS3 but if you keep cooking and cooling some potatoes or rice, you slowly increase the amount of RS3. I mean: raw food is very often unpalatable and even toxic so RS3 is maybe the safest thing to eat (apart from green bananas / plantains high in RS2).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    My theory on this is that one serving of starch gives you probably three times more sugar than one serving of fruit. One large potato is worth practically one whole, large cantaloupe melon! Most people wouldn't go for that much fruit because to keep total calories in check means you probably have to forfeit "complete meals".
    I recognize that in theory starch and sugar are digested the same. But we're not talking tiny servings of fruit vs large portions of potato. It was sometimes quite a lot of fruit (and ice cream). I intend to explore this further in the future.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Just eat some raw potatoes.

Try adaptogens. I haven't had trouble sleeping since I started taking rhodiola! But my problem is different from yours. My problem is that I can't fall asleep sometimes. I don't usually wake up in the middle of the night, unable to go back to sleep. However, that has happened to me in the past, usually when I'm really anxious (like the night before a law-school exam during my first semester in law school--I think it was the pressure of knowing that your entire grade is going to be determined by the one exam). I bet adaptogens would help with that too.

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Had noodles with dinner last night and slept most soundly

Not sure raw potatoes will be a taste sensation! heheheh
    6'6" male

SW: 286lbs/130kg/20st 8lbs
    CW: 281 lbs/127.7kg/20st 1lb
    TW:216lbs/98kg/15st 6lbs

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    Congrats on your improved sleep. Just by curiosity, what kind of noodles were they ? rice ? shirataki ? glass noodles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    Congrats on your improved sleep. Just by curiosity, what kind of noodles were they ? rice ? shirataki ? glass noodles ?

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    not sure really as it was in a thai restaurant, so whatever Pad Tae noodles are
    6'6" male

SW: 286lbs/130kg/20st 8lbs
    CW: 281 lbs/127.7kg/20st 1lb
    TW:216lbs/98kg/15st 6lbs

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123