Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep page 2

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks again YogaBare - I have some beef gelatin so will give it a go. My nutrition is pretty damned good so no worries on that score

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    i eat between 130-150g of carbs a day, and hi carb is no go for me as im diabetic.
    That is another reason why you SHOULD have resistant starch, it regulates your blood sugar and blunts blood glucose levels (this is the so-called "second-meal effect"). You can also use a few grams of cinnamon a day (i.e. drink cinnamon tea).

As a diabetic, you have to know this because RS and cinnamon are the easiest ways to get control over your BG level and insulin needs. You can also complement the whole thing with a few almonds for its oil (almond oil is also blunting the glycemic load effect).

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member
    It was a double edged sword for me - initially i joined weightwatchers, then slimming world to lose weight, but they didnt care much for diabetcs, just my weekly cash injection. I failed to lose weight and my insulin spikes were all over the place. I had an idea, but researched the science behind insulin and weight gain and decided to go it alone, and after some reading on diabetes uk webby, came to MDA. So i guess, initially i wanted to lose weight but more importantly, regulate my bloods. But after i began the primal journey, it became a way of life.

In answer to your question, YogaBear, i do eat my carbs at night - generally eggs and ham or bacon for breaky if im not IFing, meat and dairy for lunch then carbs of a nighttime with meat of some sort.
    6'6" male

SW: 286lbs/130kg/20st 8lbs
    CW: 281 lbs/127.7kg/20st 1lb
    TW:216lbs/98kg/15st 6lbs

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    Thanks again YogaBare - I have some beef gelatin so will give it a go. My nutrition is pretty damned good so no worries on that score
    Pleasure - I hope it helps! I know you've struggled with this for a while.

Can I ask you two questions though?

- How much do you eat a day (with how many carbs)
    - have you ever had your hormones checked? (some hormonal imbalances can lead to poor sleep which can be regulated through sufficient carb intake).
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Goosefeather is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    That is another reason why you SHOULD have resistant starch, it regulates your blood sugar and blunts blood glucose levels (this is the so-called "second-meal effect"). You can also use a few grams of cinnamon a day (i.e. drink cinnamon tea).

As a diabetic, you have to know this because RS and cinnamon are the easiest ways to get control over your BG level and insulin needs. You can also complement the whole thing with a few almonds for its oil (almond oil is also blunting the glycemic load effect).
    Thanks for the tips dkJames - i will certainly look into this.
    6'6" male

SW: 286lbs/130kg/20st 8lbs
    CW: 281 lbs/127.7kg/20st 1lb
    TW:216lbs/98kg/15st 6lbs

"...he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

It was a double edged sword for me - initially i joined weightwatchers, then slimming world to lose weight, but they didnt care much for diabetcs, just my weekly cash injection. I failed to lose weight and my insulin spikes were all over the place. I had an idea, but researched the science behind insulin and weight gain and decided to go it alone, and after some reading on diabetes uk webby, came to MDA. So i guess, initially i wanted to lose weight but more importantly, regulate my bloods. But after i began the primal journey, it became a way of life.

In answer to your question, YogaBear, i do eat my carbs at night - generally eggs and ham or bacon for breaky if im not IFing, meat and dairy for lunch then carbs of a nighttime with meat of some sort.
    What kind of carbs do you eat at night?

Also, I'm not an expert on diabetes, but isn't there a big difference between the effect of fruit versus starch on your blood sugar?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Thanks for the tips dkJames - i will certainly look into this.
    Go to freetheanimal.com and read everything you can about RS including comments. There is one guy in particular nicknamed "tatertot" who has written A LOT of info about it in the comment section of all RS related articles. One guy recently added some info about cinnamon. It is really well studied actually and every diabetic should know this!

EDIT: here is the cinnamon study -> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14633804
    Last edited by dkJames; 07-11-2013 at 05:26 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I found eating a serving or two of starch with dinner is what helps me sleep. Fruit or sugar does not have that effect, nor does starch with lunch - which made it worse, because eating starch at lunch tended to be followed by a low carb evening meal.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I found eating a serving or two of starch with dinner is what helps me sleep
    Even if I don't eat normal starch, if I supplement with resistant starch (and it can get dirt cheap, just buy Bob's Red Mill unmodified raw potato starch, mix 3 Tbsp with water and drink like 30mn before going to bed - it tastes somewhere between bland and bad), I get much better sleep! ... and very vivid dream as well ...

The thing about RS is that it must not be heated above 150 F or it will be destroyed. Green bananas and plantains contain a good deal of it as well. Beans as well but I wouldn't eat beans every day. Cooked and cooled potatoes have some RS but not as much as the raw stuff.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I found eating a serving or two of starch with dinner is what helps me sleep. Fruit or sugar does not have that effect, nor does starch with lunch - which made it worse, because eating starch at lunch tended to be followed by a low carb evening meal.
    My theory on this is that one serving of starch gives you probably three times more sugar than one serving of fruit. One large potato is worth practically one whole, large cantaloupe melon! Most people wouldn't go for that much fruit because to keep total calories in check means you probably have to forfeit "complete meals".
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-11-2013 at 06:04 AM.

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast