Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grok Squat for women page

primalcraft is offline Junior Member

Grok Squat for women

Primal Fuel
    I a having serious issues with the grok squat. I can get down into the position correctly, but if I push my weight back onto my heels without holding on to something I immediately fall over. I don't seem to be getting any better practicing with something to hold me in position.

I am wondering if it is more difficult because women's center of gravity is more toward the hips (thus dragging us backwards) whereas men's center of gravity is toward their shoulders so when they lean forward into the squat this helps balance them out.

Also does anyone have tips for improving on my grok squat/ways to identify what is tight and screwing me up?

This info might be somewhere else but I can't find it so I would appreciate any advice or further info.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Maybe your legs aren't positioned wide enough apart, it's the only thing I can think of. I just tried it and I noticed if my legs were closer together I felt a little unsteady.

I don't think it has anything to do with being a woman, I've been doing it all my life and I'm a 53 yr old woman.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 07-10-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    The more I squatted the easier it got. I had to work on ankle flexibility. At first I squatted with my feet turned very far out to the sides and almost sat on my instep, otherwise I would fall backwards. I have been working on bringing my toes in more over time, and I don't fall back anymore. That having been said, I do feel the need to lean forward just slightly in order to get my center of gravity over my feet. My shins are not exactly perpendicular to the ground and my knees are a little bit too far forward.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It will get easier! This is a flexibility issue, not a gender issue.

I am a 50 year old woman and easily get into a full, flat-footed Grok squat. Thank goodness for years of dancing!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I found for me it was an issue of strength and technique. I have always been flexible and worked on flexibility. But it was just really awkward. I can see for some people flexibility would also be an issue.

What I found was that holding onto both doorknobs of an open door or a sturdy vertical post gave me the support I needed to go down safely while finding the foot positioning that worked for me. At first it felt horrendously awkward, but within a week I had progressed to the point where I only needed steadying. And a week later I was comfortably doing full depth with no support.

About that time I recommended it to my girlfriend, and she made the same rapid progress as I had.

DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Im a guy and also use to fall back, strengthening my core/abs has helped. Now I rock back on my heels until I fall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

primalcraft is offline Junior Member
    Thanks foe the responses, perhaps I am doing it incorrectly because it also feels a far cry from being a relaxed position (I do suspect part of that is that I have never been very flexible). Does anyone have a link to a sight that breaks it down step by step? On here I just keep getting sent back to mark's video which to me is not very helpful.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal, my trainer had me start all the way down in the squat position. Picture a toddler squatting to inspect something on the ground. I stayed that way until I couldn't stand it. He had me do it next to something so I could steady myself. I did it three times a day. Because of a badly broken leg almost two years ago and back surgery over twenty years ago, both flexibility and strength were my issues. I can now eat a meal in a squat if I choose to and my Groc squat is full motion and fairly effortless. I like the idea of using 2 door knobs instead of back against the wall so as you progress, you can lighten your hold.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcraft View Post
    Thanks foe the responses, perhaps I am doing it incorrectly because it also feels a far cry from being a relaxed position (I do suspect part of that is that I have never been very flexible). Does anyone have a link to a sight that breaks it down step by step? On here I just keep getting sent back to mark's video which to me is not very helpful.
    There have been several squat related posts over the years. Here's one on ankle flexibility:
    How to Improve Wrist and Ankle Mobility | Mark's Daily Apple

I bet you can will see an immediate improvement if you stretch out your ankles before attempting to squat.

Here is a more recent one from Kelly Starrett:
    The Missing Link: Movement as a Skill | Mark's Daily Apple

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's an ankle mobility issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast