Thread: Omega 3's and Prostate Cancer page

PrimalMD is offline Junior Member

Omega 3's and Prostate Cancer

Primal Fuel
    Link between high blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids and prostate cancer - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Any thoughts on this study showing link between prostate cacer and high omega 3 fatty acid levels? Thanks for any input. Sorry if already discussed.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Just reading the abstract, one question I would have is what was the difference in what they were eating. If it is just blood levels, it is it possible that these men have a biological variance which both increased blood levels and increased cancer risk? Or is there a biological variance with the cancer itself causing a change in blood levels since I don't think they have pre-cancerous levels available.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    It's a 'prospective' study of metadata gathered from other studies for other purposes. There appears to be no diet control except for the nutrient being studied in each study. That's almost meaningless. It gives doctoral students something to publish and lots of practice in statistics.

Eskimos also have high Omega-3 blood content. I wonder if they have high risk for prostate cancer. I've not heard of such a study.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

xenolith is offline Junior Member
    This is not the first study to link n-3 with prostate cancer.

We have to remember, the most popular strategy with which today's modern, general public is to solve health concerns by just taking a pill. Diet or life style change, in that order, are usually the least popular. Nothing exemplifies this more than Fish oil supplements. According to the FDA, fish oil is the #1 raw ingredient used by dietary supplement companies today - go figure. It's become so popular that even a pharmaceutical company has gotten into the act with Lovaza.

If you think about it, there really is nothing new to learn here. We know that polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) is a major cause of oxidative stress. But most people are ignorant of the fact that n-3 is a PUFA. Heck, most people are ignorant of what a PUFA even is, or the damage they can cause.

Its very possible that the anti-inflammatory benefits of n-3 are realized only in the short term, but long term may contribute to oxidative stress, particularly with regular mega-doses of fish oil. What constitutes a mega-dose? Who knows? Has there been a study? But what I do know is the unquestionable health benefits EPA/DHA provide, and the amount of oxidative stress it may cause may be mitigated by the anti-oxidant foods I also try to regularly consume.

The real goal of all this fish oil craze has always been to help people maintain a healthy 4:1 n-6/n-3 ratio, or to come as close to it as possible. And this is where the general public trips up, by making the popular, easy choice, by continuing on with the same diet and life style as always, and then just taking the fish oil pills. This may give them the mistaken belief that that whole wheat muffin, or that deep (industrial oil) fried chicken, or that jar of peanut butter are okay because they're taking fish oil capsules to compensate, all the while not realizing the oxidative damage caused by all those PUFAs. Again, most of them don't even know what a PUFA is, they just know that someone's told them that lots of n-3 is good for them.

So, the best strategy really hasn't changed much in light of these n-3-cancer-link studies (at least for me.) That is, to continue to regularly eat plenty of n-3 rich fish (me? raw wild salmon), continue to regularly eat plenty of anti-oxidant foods, and stay far far away from grains and industrialized oils.

antkirkland88 is offline Junior Member
    I have a tblsp of cod liver oil every morning and a 2 tsp of coconut oil for breakfast most mornings. I take the cod liver oil to try to normalise my omega fat ratio but didnt realise it is a PUFA. Feel slightly confused now about how to continue with this product.

peril is offline Senior Member
    The study protocol involved measuring the N-3 blood levels of a group that already had prostate cancer and comparing against a matched group that didn't. The first question I have is what interventions were undertaken on the first group. How many began supplementing fish oil after diagnosis and was this significant?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Here's a great post on Examine.com looking at the findings of this study: Fish Oil and your Prostate - Examine.com Blog
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Here's a great post on Examine.com looking at the findings of this study: Fish Oil and your Prostate - Examine.com Blog
    Very good. I will eat my salmon now.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    These studies don't play neatly into anyone's agenda. In this set of studies the breast cancer studies come up with a negative association. And as the Examine article points out, the death rate (which is always the place to look, everything else is just a place-holder, if you look at death rate there are TONS of medical interventions that are pointless) even for prostate cancer has a negative association.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com