Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People who eat PUFAs, come 'ere. page

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member

People who eat PUFAs, come 'ere.

Shop Now
    Okay, the anti-PUFA league is loud enough- if you gleefully eat your fishies and nuts, let's discuss. I haven't put a lot of effort into learning about this, so my reasons to eat my PUFAs are probably no where near as educated and developed as yours- I want to crib off of you! If you have links to fantastic science, all the better.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I eat nuts and fish. I never use any sort of industrial seed oil, though.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Here are some articles of interest:

Unsaturated Vegetable Oils: Toxic
    Ray Peat
    Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

PUFAs are virtually unavoidable but I do believe it's best to minimize them in favor of saturated fats, MUFAs would be second best. I think the biggest problem is their unnatural ubiquity. shelled nuts, nut and seed flours, and vegetable oils aren't really found in nature. It takes a lot of work to harvest,then shell nuts and seeds, which is why machines do it now.

This is another context/dosage area. Some macadamia nuts and salmon? No problem. But almond flour, peanut oil, and sunflower seed butter very often are not ideal, IMO. And those things are probably even worlds healthier than the actual form of PUFAs most Americans get.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-10-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Good thing I am not a lizard or a rat!

Yes, my two arguments are
    1) Dosage. A diversified diet is probably good because everything is going to kill you. Fish every day of the week? Probably not great, but neither is steak. Including fish and nuts increases your diversity.
    2) If you have high blood sugar you are going to make AGEs, end of story. Better having them form on O3 than on other things (which is probably the association with fish and longer life span).
    Oh, and
    3) ALA has been associated with controlling obesity and one of my mentors who made it her five years (1% of obese people who lose weight keep it off 5 years or more) is very obsessed with this ALA thing and convinced me at one point, though I have not re-reviewed it in several years.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I have seen nothing in my reading that suggests there is any issue from PUFAs in eating seafoods or brains. There is no way I would avoid these foods because of PUFAs. I eat raw the livers of fish that I catch.

Much the same can be said of PUFAs in nuts and seeds provided they are fresh and whole. It is when you process them that a) the easily become rancid and b) you can eat them in unnatural quantity

That there is so much PUFA, especially DHA, in the brain suggests to me it is a very good idea to make it available to yur body
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't much care about PUFAs, etc. I eat fish. I don't eat nuts except rarely - I consider them bar food. I don't eat fish every day, but I like sardines, squid, and salmon on a regular basis, and I eat anchovies when I'm jonesin' for salt. I love lobster, but can't afford to eat it as much as I'd like. I love crawfish, and definitely fill up on them when they're in season. My concerns are farm vs wild, bpa-free cans, and variety. If I eat the foods that most people don't eat (lamb, goat, weird fish, etc.), I figure I'll get the best nutrition because BigFood doesn't have a stake in screwing it up. The last beef I bought was from NZ. I would have happily purchased it from the US, but the NZ beef was less expensive by a good 20% and it was grass fed Angus.

So, that's it. I don't sweat the small stuff. I eat the best quality and the most variety I can afford and find. My grandmother didn't worry about anything except that the scale should post less than 140 lbs for her weight. She lived to be 86 and was vital for all but her last six weeks of life. People often guessed her age as 10+ years younger than she was. For me, she's more of a roll model than anyone I've found online.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Not trying to challenge you or anything, but why eat nuts? Fish I can totally understand, and I eat avocados, too, but nuts just seem like a weird choice to me. I mean you have not only the PUFA but phytic acid and other toxins to worry about, plus it's hard (at least for me) to find quality nuts in the first place. And they're not cheap. And some nuts seem hard to digest properly. And chocolate or cheese tastes better IMO and has just as many or more nutrients plus a much better fatty acid profile.

By all means eat nuts if you want. I was just curious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    Not trying to challenge you or anything, but why eat nuts? Fish I can totally understand, and I eat avocados, too, but nuts just seem like a weird choice to me. I mean you have not only the PUFA but phytic acid and other toxins to worry about, plus it's hard (at least for me) to find quality nuts in the first place. And they're not cheap. And some nuts seem hard to digest properly. And chocolate or cheese tastes better IMO and has just as many or more nutrients plus a much better fatty acid profile.

By themselves they are very convenient if you are in a long meeting or something. In prepared dishes, I like the crunchy. And I think they are a good way to expand that varied diet by making them the filling food in the meal once or twice a week.

You know what is interesting is that a lot of these "toxins" in reasonable quantities in a varied diet have been seen as chemicals that reduce cancer. I'm not sure that because something is poisonous in a large amount, it is a toxin.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    By themselves they are very convenient if you are in a long meeting or something. In prepared dishes, I like the crunchy. And I think they are a good way to expand that varied diet by making them the filling food in the meal once or twice a week.

You know what is interesting is that a lot of these "toxins" in reasonable quantities in a varied diet have been seen as chemicals that reduce cancer. I'm not sure that because something is poisonous in a large amount, it is a toxin.
    Gotcha. I think I'll keep eating my chocolate instead though.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post

I would say the fact that certain HG tribes eat more than 60% of their calories in the form of nuts is a fine example that nuts are a safe and healthy food.

From a hunter gather perspective nuts make perfect sense.

The hating on anything nut or seed just cause of some PUFA eliminates a great deal of minerals from the paleo plate. Magnesium, manganese, selenium, vitamin E, and several others are prevalent in nuts. In fact just about all the things people on paleo find that they have to supplement can be found in good quantity by including a variety of nuts and seeds.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-10-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast