Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: People who eat PUFAs, come 'ere. page 4

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I'm generally a fan of eating whole foods, but I must have my numbers wrong here. From what I have pieced together it looks like if you eat a cup of walnuts you get just under 40 grams of pufa compared to about 7 grams from a tablespoon of soybean oil. I find that really surprising!! I must have something wrong.

Anyone?
    Doesn't sound crazy to me. A cup of walnuts is a huge amount of walnuts. A tablespoon of soybean oil is probably 4-5 french fries' worth.

Bill_Lagakos is offline Junior Member
    Looks like I've got a new "pre-workout protein shake" recipe.

WRT raw nuts: they're convenient, a decent source of protein & fibre, and taste pretty good. They’re not essential, but certainly not harmful. Roasted nuts may have some peroxidized and/or trans fats, but you'd have to eat a LOT [regularly] for this to have a negative impact on your body.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Amen man!

One thing that KILLS me is when NYC implemented their transfat ban, Starbucks had to reformulate all their baked goods to cut out the CLA. Not that people here are eating SBX baked goods, but such an example of reductionist idiocy.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I definitely agree that demonizing a whole food on the basis of a single nutrient reeks of 1980s beef/egg/butter madness.

The main hazard of the seed oils is their invisible ubiquity. I have to snicker at the labels that list several "and/or" in the vegetable oil parentheses because the manufacturer truly doesn't know what they're cooking with. Also I received a newsletter from my medical insurer with these handy tips:

"Remove all visible fat from food before you cook it. Trim the white fat off any meat. Also, try to avoid eating too many sausages and burgers (the fat's not visible from the outside, but it's certainly there!) Add little or no butter to your food.

For optimal health, people should reduce their intake of solid fats by replacing them with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Solid fats are found in animal-based foods such as meat, skin, bacon, sausage, butter and whole milk products. Most fats should be polyunsaturated such as liquid vegetable oils like canola, olive, corn, peanut and soybean. Plant-based foods like nuts and seeds also contain these healthy fats."

I know I'm free to ignore this but we also get discounts if we schedule an appointment to have a counselor read this stuff out loud so it makes me grumpy.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    PUFAs... I eat a lot of chicken legs. And skin. I like it and it's the easiest to marinate and throw in the oven for an hour till done, not to mention super cheap because the boneless skinless chicken breasts are in high demand.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    PUFAs... I eat a lot of chicken legs. And skin. I like it and it's the easiest to marinate and throw in the oven for an hour till done, not to mention super cheap because the boneless skinless chicken breasts are in high demand.
    If I'm not cooking a whole bird (normal method), then my absolute favorite part to buy is bone in and skin on thighs. I mean there is just no better tasting part of the chicken IMO.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If I'm not cooking a whole bird (normal method), then my absolute favorite part to buy is bone in and skin on thighs. I mean there is just no better tasting part of the chicken IMO.
    Absolutely! Same deal though- birds and pigs I try to keep to once a week... get enough things and everything turns into a once a week thing. ;-)
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post

I know I'm free to ignore this but we also get discounts if we schedule an appointment to have a counselor read this stuff out loud so it makes me grumpy.
    a few months back my then-employer insisted we all get "health screenings", or we'd get a surcharge on our health insurance.

same shizz.

the nurse about stroked out when she saw i ate animal protein every day! zomg! eggs will kill you! you need cereal!! of course all my cw health markers were excellent, so all she could mutter at the end was "but still..."

face-palm, badly.

i eat wild fatty fish several times per week, happily. i think it more likely we ate far more swimmy things than big beasts when we fell from the trees and got going.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    "Remove all visible fat from food before you cook it. Trim the white fat off any meat. Also, try to avoid eating too many sausages and burgers (the fat's not visible from the outside, but it's certainly there!) Add little or no butter to your food.

For optimal health, people should reduce their intake of solid fats by replacing them with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Solid fats are found in animal-based foods such as meat, skin, bacon, sausage, butter and whole milk products. Most fats should be polyunsaturated such as liquid vegetable oils like canola, olive, corn, peanut and soybean. Plant-based foods like nuts and seeds also contain these healthy fats."
    Anybody remember back in the day when they were first trying to drastically change the American diet, the recommendation was to add lots of polyunsaturated oil, not even replace one component with another. I bet a lot of people gained weight doing that.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Eating fish and the occasional handful of nuts will give you freakin' diabetes. I learneded that right here at MDA.
    Hehehe.

While this site is generally awesome there's occasionally some really weird stuff; "eating nothing but fruit is a good idea", "eating fish is a bad idea"...stuff that contradicts known ancestral eating habits.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast