Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: People who eat PUFAs, come 'ere. page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Another thing is that almost every trial aimed at increasing nut intake in humans ends in improved health. Just an example though:

Nuts and health outcomes: new epidemiologic evidence

And we all know how unhealthy shore based societies that subsist largely on fish are right!?!?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I can't find the link but I remember a Brazilian study that hypothesized that the damage attributed to omega-6 peroxidation stems from the deodorization process of seed oil rendering the natural vitamin E bio-inactive so it's not there to intercept the end products. If true, then an intact seed might carry its own prophylactic for consumption. Nuts seem to perform well in population studies after all. This might also explain why omega-3 capsules have yet to demonstrate any of the benefits of fish consumption.

In practice? I eat fatty fish 1-2 times per week as a partial antidote against a lifetime of fried snacks but I don't pursue any seeds, not even ALA-rich ones (ALA is not bioactive in humans as far as I understand). I'll buy refrigerated hazelnuts or macadamias at the co-op for party recipes.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Oh, found my own reply on that HG tribe with some great info!

Don't be like them unhealthy hunter/gatherer tribes that get the majority of their calories from meat and nuts!

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/dcr...lee_chap_4.pdf

1365 calories a day from the Monongo nut (which the go to great effort to collect)
    690 calories from meat
    300 calories from plant

Approximately 60% animal and nut by weight to 40% plant..... Interesting little read.

Of course the caloric density complaint is a double edge sword. For HG's caloric density is a necessity in food choice. This may not be so for us, but I would question any presumption of these foods being unhealthy based on a reductionistic account of PUFA levels alone.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-10-2013 at 06:10 PM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer, that link (the last one, that truncated) doesn't seem to work?

Thanks for these links!
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Fixed it! Copied it from one of my old posts....

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    thanks!
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Oh, found my own reply on that HG tribe with some great info!

Don't be like them unhealthy hunter/gatherer tribes that get the majority of their calories from meat and nuts!

http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/dcr...lee_chap_4.pdf

1365 calories a day from the Monongo nut (which the go to great effort to collect)
    690 calories from meat
    300 calories from plant

Approximately 60% animal and nut by weight to 40% plant..... Interesting little read.

Of course the caloric density complaint is a double edge sword. For HG's caloric density is a necessity in food choice. This may not be so for us, but I would question any presumption of these foods being unhealthy based on a reductionistic account of PUFA levels alone.
    Their nuts are harvested and eaten freshly. The nuts most of us buy have been shelled, heated, processed, shippedhundreds and thousands of miles, and stored at warm temps and exposure to countless parasites and bacteria. Not every region has so many nuts available. If I lived in a location that fresh nuts were in abundance and the biggest source of food, I'd eat them too. But we live different lives from these tribes, and our gene expressions reflect that. Not to mention epigenetic and environmental factors.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Point is 44% PUFA in a natural form with the normal constituents (vitamin e and other minerals), and NO negative effect. No increased incidence of heart disease, diabetes,....ect. \

If you want to blame PUFA for all the diseases of civilization this is the black swan. Does it mean that you should not pay attention to how a food item is grown, harvested, or shipped? Of course not. We obviously look at that for every other Primal item in the fridge, but if your (not you specifically) contention is that PUFA causes some sort of oxidative metabolic stress JUST BECAUSE its PUFA then your gonna have to explain tribes like this and traditional shore societies whose intake is quite high. I just don't see it.

Then again the combined oxidative stress of both fructose AND pufa on the liver is a different story. Perhaps this is the real reason that Peat don't like PUFA. Its not that PUFA is bad, its just that he loves sugar so much he had to get rid of it
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-10-2013 at 06:47 PM.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    I would say the fact that certain HG tribes eat more than 60% of their calories in the form of nuts is a fine example that nuts are a safe and healthy food.

From a hunter gather perspective nuts make perfect sense.

The hating on anything nut or seed just cause of some PUFA eliminates a great deal of minerals from the paleo plate. Magnesium, manganese, selenium, vitamin E, and several others are prevalent in nuts. In fact just about all the things people on paleo find that they have to supplement can be found in good quantity by including a variety of nuts and seeds.
    Sure you could get those from nuts, but you could get them from many other sources as well. For example, consider the nutrition data for chocolate (Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Candies, chocolate, dark, 70-85% cacao solids) and oysters (Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Mollusks, oyster, eastern, canned).

We obviously look at that for every other Primal item in the fridge, but if your (not you specifically) contention is that PUFA causes some sort of oxidative metabolic stress JUST BECAUSE its PUFA then your gonna have to explain tribes like this and traditional shore societies. I just don't see it.
    PUFA concerns by strict Peatarians or whatever are overblown, sure, but I don't see any reason to eat PUFA either. And I generally wouldn't recommend other people eat much PUFA either. Obviously they can do whatever they want though.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by F.Fellini View Post
    PUFA concerns by strict Peatarians or whatever are overblown, sure, but I don't see any reason to eat PUFA either. And I generally wouldn't recommend other people eat much PUFA either. Obviously they can do whatever they want though.
    I wouldn't eat "PUFA" for the sake of getting more PUFA in my diet, but I definitely don't avoid foods that are/have been a regular contributor to human caloric load for tens of thousands of years just cause they also happen to contain PUFA's. See the difference?

Besides OP was asking for rationale reasons why some of us are not scared to death of eating PUFA's. So I'm just sharing my particular thoughts on the matter.

I don't use nut flours or bake any faux paleo crap, but I do use nut butters, eat fatty fish, and eat plenty of variety of nuts and seeds on a daily basis. So I have thought it out and I believe that the benefits outweigh any perceived draw backs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast