Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep falling off the plan. page

fidens is offline Junior Member

Keep falling off the plan.

Shop Now
    I'm not too worried about fitness. I love going outside, I love playing around and trying things and treating the world as my play ground. Where I'm having the issue is my nutrition.

Quick background on why I'm not worried about the fitness part and am looking for how to keep the nutrition. I love being active, I'm former military and a kickboxer, on top of that I can't help but have fun playing around with everything from parkour to simply climbing trees. However, I've always eating whatever the heck I wanted and doing whatever I want for food. It didn't matter because I was so active I burned off anything I ate, but then I got injured and wasn't able to stay active for a long time, but I kept eating the way I did and honestly a lot of it was just crap. So I put on about 50 pounds and went from 195lbs with around 17% body fat, to 240lbs with at least 35% body fat. So now I'm at the point where if I want my energy back, I need to revamp my metabolism and get back on track with nutrition. I've always eaten whatever I wanted, while maybe not healthy, I could wing it because I was young and burning off a ridiculous calories because of the activity level and various Army activities.

I know this will not be an overnight transformation. The problem is that this is the first time in my life where my activity levels don't negate the crap I put in my system. So I have to basically start over at 31 and teach my body that the stuff I used to hate is good for me. I love green beans, apples and oranges, avocado, meat, fish, all the stuff you would think would make my life transition to a primal diet easy. But the cravings....wow.

Even though I love the taste of a primal meal, I'm craving junk food in such a way that it feels like I'm starving myself of oxygen. Usually I have the discipline to suffer through anything, but these cravings have circumvented even my best days of self discipline and restraint.

I've read all the articles, I understand the science, and I'm serious about going primal. But everytime I get focused on doing it, it takes all of about a week for me to give in and derail my efforts. Any tips, ideas, strategies for going from junk food diet to primal genus?

Harpua is offline Member
    I was successful early on with keeping myself full. I cleared all of the junk out of my house so when a craving hit it wasn't there. There were days when I ate nonstop, but it was meat and veggies. Bags of baby carrots were my best friend for the first few weeks. Then, without even realizing it at first, the cravings kind of tapered off.
    M/35/5'10"
    SW: 325lbs
    Paleo start: 2/6/2013 @303lbs

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    I needed to go cold turkey and cut out all junk and most carbs. Meat/veggies/fat only for the first few weeks in order to get rid of cravings. I stuffed myself and didn't lose much weight at first, but the cravings went away. After a bit the portions got smaller and I finally was feeling satisfied off less. I slowly added in potatoes, fruit, and cheat meals and can do so without cravings coming back and lose weight at same time. Just what worked for me, some people have a hard time cutting it all out at once, but I had to.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    So this could be off, but here is a guess: You came to talk about the food, but you had to give us this whole background about how insanely fit you used to be. So do you walk around thinking that people should realize you just happen to be fat now, but you used to be insanely fit? You might be someone that needs a reality check that no one sees that when you walk up. There is no "I used to be someone else" bubble over your head. You are the guy who needs to lose weight.

I say this has someone who has lost weight 2.5 times and had to get rid of the "I used to be the woman who did triathlons" to be willing to become the person who better eat right if I ever want to do triathlons again.

As far as the cravings, most people find their food cravings go down if they go low carb. So if your food cravings are getting you, I would recommend going very low carb (50 g carb / day) and then working back up while creating a written food plan that is what you have worked out as an eating plan that controls your cravings.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

mike is offline Senior Member
    I can't say from experience since I ditched most junk food years ago before going primal - except for beer and occasionally potato chips - but I'd say fill yourself up on meat. meat, eggs and more meat. Since 'going primal' I've had chips a few times and I still have beer regularly but way less than before. Seriously, can doritos replace bacon???

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Treat yourself with something primal that you REALLY like as a substitute to anything processed or with wheat/grains in it.
    Agree.

I went a bit crazy on pork rinds when I felt I needed something like a chip. I also abused cream cheese for awhile... not really primal stuff, but it helped for the short term.

roggg is offline Junior Member
    My experience was that cravings were bad for about 3 weeks. Believe it or not, toast was what I wanted most. After eating eggs and toast for breakfast for years, eggs didn't see the same. If you stick with it, the cravings go away, and it all gets easier. My advice is to come up with things you can eat instead when you get cravings. I ate dill pickles by the jar, and used cheese and almonds as snacks due to the fat content. Dont worry about quantities if you're eating the right things. And finally be prepared...have the right foods on hand in forms that require little preparation so you dont fall back to old habits as a "path of least resistance".

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fidens View Post
    Any tips, ideas, strategies for going from junk food diet to primal genus?
    Sometimes baby steps is more effective than cold turkey. Chances are you have comforting weekly routines. You could try gently displacing these ONE at a time until your week looks a lot cleaner. Removing toxins and capturing nutrients are equally important, and trying to do one without the other is likely to cause more intrusive food thoughts.

I recommend eating balanced meals and nothing else. Constantly asking "to snack or not to snack" is like having a bee in your bonnet so just swat it now. Get enough kitchen confidence to scratch the itches that the junk is satisfying--creamy, sweet, chewy, etc. There are enough recipes on google to last forever. I also like to read up on how commercial food is prepared just to reinforce how mediocre it is, and why excluding it is a matter of self-esteem.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    So this could be off, but here is a guess: You came to talk about the food, but you had to give us this whole background about how insanely fit you used to be. So do you walk around thinking that people should realize you just happen to be fat now, but you used to be insanely fit? You might be someone that needs a reality check that no one sees that when you walk up. There is no "I used to be someone else" bubble over your head. You are the guy who needs to lose weight.
    I don't care what people think, I just want to be healthy. I gave the background because EVERYONE I have ever talked to about trying to control my cravings goes straight to exercise when my problem is nutrition. I will have no issues with getting up and moving around, what I need is help with nutrition and I honestly will ignore every last comment on fitness and only pay attention to what I need, nutrition tips.

How do you deal with going so low carb? The first time I tried this I went down to the 50g/day and I could only last a couple days before I ended up gorging myself because I felt like I was back in Iraq with nothing but rations.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Sometimes baby steps is more effective than cold turkey. Chances are you have comforting weekly routines. You could try gently displacing these ONE at a time until your week looks a lot cleaner. Removing toxins and capturing nutrients are equally important, and trying to do one without the other is likely to cause more intrusive food thoughts.

I recommend eating balanced meals and nothing else. Constantly asking "to snack or not to snack" is like having a bee in your bonnet so just swat it now. Get enough kitchen confidence to scratch the itches that the junk is satisfying--creamy, sweet, chewy, etc. There are enough recipes on google to last forever. I also like to read up on how commercial food is prepared just to reinforce how mediocre it is, and why excluding it is a matter of self-esteem.
    So should i steer clear of bringing nuts and trailmixes to work to munch out throughout the day? I usually work about 10-12 hours a day, so most of my eating get's done on the go, I actually never get a chance to sit and eat a meal at home unless it's the weekends.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast