Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: do you cut the fat off of meat? page 5

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    Season the chicken genoursly with salt, pepper and paprika ( thighs with bone in are best) Place the chicken skin side down in a pan with some lard and cook, be very very patient and turn after about 25 mins then continue cooking until done
    ( check that the juices run clear with a skewer inserted near the bone) and wallah!crispy skin. Remove chicken and add some spinach with a generous squeeze of lemon to the pan of juices and fat,only long enough to wilt then serve. Perfect primal meal! Enjoy
    Shoot...I have 6 hindquarters on my Weber. I wish I had used this method in my cast iron pan using my rendered pastured duck fat. Next time for sure.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    I travel and only eat out. I have no idea what meat I'm getting. Still not to cut the fat?
    If the restaurant paid more for grass fed meats I would think they would boast on their menus they serve grass fed.

If no such claim is made then I would assume chances of grassfed is not high - its just a matter of economics, as people in general want to pay the minimum for stuff.

So I'd probably cut most the fat off restaurant meats - though I normally only eat fish on the occasions I go out.

At home I always buy grass fed so the fat is normally not thick, but if it is I trim half of it off and cook it separately - both the steak and the cut fat cook better that way - and of course I eat the fat.

As for cutting fat off bacon - that's just crazy talk :-)

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    If the restaurant paid more for grass fed meats I would think they would boast on their menus they serve grass fed.

If no such claim is made then I would assume chances of grassfed is not high - its just a matter of economics, as people in general want to pay the minimum for stuff.

So I'd probably cut most the fat off restaurant meats - though I normally only eat fish on the occasions I go out.

At home I always buy grass fed so the fat is normally not thick, but if it is I trim half of it off and cook it separately - both the steak and the cut fat cook better that way - and of course I eat the fat.

As for cutting fat off bacon - that's just crazy talk :-)
    I'm surprised you haven't noticed that in Australia it's the opposite. Restaurants often list that their steak is grain-fed and charge a higher price for it.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't noticed that in Australia it's the opposite. Restaurants often list that their steak is grain-fed and charge a higher price for it.
    I see that in the two big chain supermarkets ( expensive 100 day grain fed steak) - occasionally I have I look out of interest but never buy meat from supermarkets as the quality i can get is much better - I only buy direct from my farmer.

I can't remember seeing grain fed in restaurants, a few reasons for this I guess:
    - I don't eat out often ( I prefer my food, it's healthier, the way i like it and much cheaper)
    - I only frequent small number of restaurants ( limited number I trust????)
    - I literally can't remember the last time ordered red meat at a restaurant (many years) so it don't take much notice on that part of the menu.

I usually order fish because I like it and feel I don't eat enough of it, also I have a better cut of red meat at home than the stuff in restaurants. Fish I'd order often is salmon - I don't bother asking if its wild caught ( menu doesn't state that) - I assume its most likely Tasmanian open sea farmed salmon ( hopefully).

My initial comment was kinda more directed at non-Aussies as our beef ( especially lamb) is quite often grass fed/finished by default ( though not labeled as such so it's a lucky dip). Restaurants often use the cheaper stuff and take shortcuts - meats, veg, oils/fats etc, again its economics so, I prefer my stuff.

The Advertised 100 day grain fed is to tell the customer its tender and tasty ( and 'special') - grain causes marbling fat in the meat - the Japanese love it and its sold a higher price here too I guess.

On occasions I'm offered to try a meat dish someone else ordered at restaurants ( eg pork, beef) - I do try it ( and enjoy it) but always think my stuff is better :-)

elfman5150 is offline Member
    I cut the meat off the fat.....Then I eat the meat and save the fat for dessert. Gotta save the best for last, right?

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elfman5150 View Post
    I cut the meat off the fat.....Then I eat the meat and save the fat for dessert. Gotta save the best for last, right?
    Perfect!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    I don't.

elfman5150 is offline Member
    Last night we ate at a fancy steakhouse restaurant for our city's "restaurant week". My Dad cut the fat off of his steak, so I just ate it myself! I also tend to ask my Mom all the time for the skin from her fish. I mean honestly, fish skin tastes incredible, especially if it has a nice char to it. Crap. Getting hungry now...

Soulrunner is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I do cut the fat off. I know its good for me but I just can't handle the texture. My dog is very happy to take care of it though.
    Haha, I bet he is! My dog looks just like your dog, he gets the fat too.....sometimes.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I eat the vast majority of fat, unless its something like pork steak where the fat is still hard not crispy. Beef and chicken fat is almost always good to eat though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast