Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding core after surgery, page

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member

Rebuilding core after surgery,

Primal Fuel
    Im wanting to start some core building excersizes but need to be very carful as i am a week out from having some major surgery that resulted in a 5-6" bikini line incisson .
    I am off the pain killers (some pain but not as anoying as the hangover feeling from the drugs) currently able to walk without any issue(more energy than hubbly lol) and im not getting fatigued with 20-30 minutes walks.
    Not supposed to lift anything heavy but drs dident really specify much else.

Any sugestions as to what (preferably bodyweight) type excersizes might be good to start with and what ones to avoid?
    I was thinking low reps of stuff like pushups, planks and squats might be a place to start? (hubby says absilutly no handstands! Lol)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    hmm.... maybe you should ask your surgeon......

Hah! I couldent even get ahold of the surgon befor the surgery, even less chance now. And i ask about excersize etc when i was in, he had no clue, basicly just said i was doing(recouping) much better than average and just use my best judgement
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Hah! I couldent even get ahold of the surgon befor the surgery, even less chance now. And i ask about excersize etc when i was in, he had no clue, basicly just said i was doing(recouping) much better than average and just use my best judgement
    gotta love health care professionals...... somedays they are less than helpful.

Huarache Gal is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't do anything for your core for at least 6 weeks. Give yourself a chance to heal first.

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    gotta love health care professionals...... somedays they are less than helpful.
    Welcome to the NHS

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I wouldn't do anything for your core for at least 6 weeks. Give yourself a chance to heal first.
    This^^^^ As a veteran of several abdominal surgeries, This^^^^

Just do some general mobility work to keep adhesions from forming such as walking at first. Then maybe some stairs. When you can do stairs pain free, then some bodyweight things like standing on one leg and raising the other (use wall or chair for balance.)

Later on, when fully healed, Marks plank progression is great.

Ha! stairs are easy peasy! I was doing stairs without any issue 4-5 days past surgery.
    Well at the moment I can do any/all of the above without a problem or any pain/discomfort. (sneezing on the other-hand)
    Ive been going for a couple 25-40 minute walks daily and am not getting tired or experiencing any discomfort.
    Ive been doing side planks and squats (basics, not the advanced levels) without any issue but am stopping before I get tired (as apposed to the way I would normally do & hold till fatigued)
    I know it sounds like im doing more than I should but honestly I'm doing much less than I feel capable of and im not doing anything that feels like its putting any strain/pressure on the incision area..
    Aside from some mild touchiness where the incision/stitches are I feel pretty much my normal self.
    In fact I ran into one of my clients a week after the surgery and she thought I hadent had it done yet

Paleobird Guest
    Good. Sounds like you are healing up well. My incision was a bit more extensive than yours (like all the way from one hip bone to the other). It's good that you know when to give yourself a rest and aren't pushing it too hard.

5-6" bikini line incision here so not to bad, especially as the dr originally expected to have to do an up & down. They actually let me out of hospital 36 hours after surgery as I was so much farther along than they expected (Dr. said usually its 3-4 days after surgery)
    To be honest I dident expect to be this mobile/energetic so soon based on all the people telling me how long they (or friend/neighbor etc) were off after similar surgery but im not complaining. Amazing what being healthy & the right diet can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast