Thread: Post-sprint meal page

bpm
    bpm is offline Junior Member

Post-sprint meal

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I train fasted, first thing in the morning. Directly after working out I have either breakfast or a small protein shake to hold me over until I eat within the hour.

My current goal is fat loss. I'm probably around 14% or so body fat, and want to get below 10%. To that end, I've upped my sprints to 2-3 times a week (as well as going to 50g carbs a day, give or take). Do you treat sprints like lifting, and fuel directly afterwards, or do you prefer to go some time without food after sprinting? I feel like the latter is better for fat loss but am curious about other's experiences.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Not eating after a workout is not going to do you harm, but never eating after a workout might not be a good idea. Like wise, immediately refueling after a workout is not going to do you harm, but always doing it is not ideal either.

i would say mixing it up is the name of the game. Pick certain days to eat breakfast afterward, and go without on other days. Mix up your eating patterns as much as possible. Our bodies are dynamic and adaptive and will quickly get used to a routine, interfering with our wishes to lose fat and become stronger.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 05-26-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I think if you're going to eat within the hour anyway, you might as well wait. Brief, intense exercise like sprinting helps to release human growth hormone, and digestion tends to shut that release down.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, wait an hour, then eat mostly proteins and some fat. No carbs yet.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    What about fueling glycogen stores? That's what you draw most of your energy from for sprinting, after all...I think having a (SMALL) serving of a starchy vegetable after an intense sprinting workout could be beneficial.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    I almost never eat after sprinting. In fact I sprint at about 5:45 in the morning and don't eat until noon more often than naught. I do this twice a week and never injest anything more than carbs from veg. Once a week I'll gorge on berries. I don't seem to be suffering from this approach any.

My approach is to try and maximize HGH production to help aid fat loss. If you want to really accelerate the loss, throw in mild cardio (walking, shovelglove) so you can burn those fatty acids that were released into your bloodstream during your intense sprinting sessions.

That's my approach anyways. To each his/her own.
    I grok, therefore I am.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_jessjane View Post
    What about fueling glycogen stores? That's what you draw most of your energy from for sprinting, after all...I think having a (SMALL) serving of a starchy vegetable after an intense sprinting workout could be beneficial.
    Yes, but then I would think that the carbs should be ingested the day before, no?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yeah, and carbs stop weightloss and hormone production.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>