Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Milk page

K.ROB is offline Senior Member

Coconut Milk

Shop Now
    Do all of you buy the canned stuff? I would rather not buy it in a can, rather a carton or something. Also, do i need to worry about buying organic coconut milk? Out diet is probably 85% organic right now.

Thanks

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I would always go for organic when possible. Why do you prefer a carton? I read that those cartons may have nasty stuff in them no different from those plastic milk cartons. Cans are recyclable.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I've only seen it in cans, other than the cartons of watered-down stuff that's meant for drinking straight - but like Classic said, those are plastic-coated so probably no better (assuming that's your concern). I've definitely never seen it in a glass container.

You could make your own! There are really detailed instructions here. According to them, one coconut makes 2-3 cups of coconut milk, and it lasts 5-7 days refrigerated.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    You could make your own! There are really detailed instructions here. According to them, one coconut makes 2-3 cups of coconut milk, and it lasts 5-7 days refrigerated.
    Best advice usually! I think whenever possible, we should make our own food.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I agree. It brings you closer to what you eat and guarantees you know what the ingredients are. I also have always advocated for meat eaters to have the experience of butchering an animal they will eat so they can understand the process and circle of life.

Bolivar is offline Senior Member
    Oh great, I was about to make a thread about coconut milk.

I just put some in a skillet, warmed it slightly, and doused my salad in it. And it tastes good! Better than using canola oil...and I can finally say farewell to using olive oil on my salads...euch. Good show.....i think

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    I've been using the stuff in a carton because it's re-closable. I pretty much just use it for coffee though. Once you open a can you gotta fiddle with it- I have 4 kids and a dissertation to write, so I'll use the convenient healthy foods when I can!

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    You can get organic for a good price on amazon if you sign up for automatic delivery. We have a case delivered every month, and you can delay it whenever if you're not done yet. I don't remember what it works out to, but it was cheaper than non-organic at sprouts. I've only ever seen it in cans unfortunately.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    those non refrigerated cartons are lined w aluminum. you're better off w a can.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
    those non refrigerated cartons are lined w aluminum. you're better off w a can.
    Not that I disagree, but isn't an aluminum can "lined with aluminum" as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast