Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all ladies! page

elvenhp is offline Member

Calling all ladies!

Primal Fuel
    Hi! My name is Tiffany. I've been reading posts for a few months now. I'm a mother of a 13 year old girl named Katie and a 2 year old daughter named Chloe. I'm happily married to my husband Chris of 15 years. I need your help. From those of you that have successfully lost weight eating primal or paleo I would like to know your tips and tricks. I'm a nurse and convinced that this is a healthy move for my family and am doing it but I also need to lose some weight. I'm tired of yoyo dieting ladies. I've read every book out there it seems. I know that people that have been doing this a long time see newbies come and go. I'm asking for your help and encouragement. I don't have a lot to lose but what I have is determined not to budge. I love to cook and feed my family healthy meals ( even when they grumble and give me ugly looks). Thanks ahead of time for your help!

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Hi Tiffany, welcome! I'm not able to lose on Primal (or any other way of eating) without counting calories. Probably not what you wanted to hear but in my case it works. I'm also doing the shangri-la protocol and right now I'm losing about 2 lbs a week, doing both....calorie counting and shangri-la. Maybe you could try one or the other as a tool just to get you started.

I intend to eat this way (no grains etc) for the rest of my life but want to get the weight loss part out of the way first!
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Probably the best place you can start is by reading one of Mark's books. Get the basics, then tweak if you need to.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

astromom is offline Member
    Hi Tiffany,
    I'm almost 3 months into primal and have lost 10-12 lbs (from ~129 lbs down to 117-118. I'm 5'1" and 44.). Right now I weigh less than I have since college and am happy with how I look in a swimsuit for the first time in years. I had no success with other weight loss programs either, but so far this has really been working for me. I didn't have much to lose, just those few extra pounds slowly creeping on. I have been tracking my calories and macros, but more because I find it interesting. I don't think tracking is changing how much I'm eating. If I'm hungry I eat, even though I've met the app's goals for me for the day, although usually I don't need to. I think tracking calories and macros is useful for a little while, at least to get a feel for what you are eating.

Here's what I ate and did for exercise yesterday, a pretty typical day for me

Breakfast:
    1 egg
    blackberries & blueberries
    1/2 cup cantaloupe
    2/3 cup whole milk yogurt (prefer full fat greek yogurt, but this was the best I could find at the store. We usually make our own.)
    coffee with half-n-half

Lunch
    2 Romain lettuce wraps with Boars Head All Natural Roast Beef and goat cheese
    big handful of spinach
    1 c carrots
    banana with a teaspoon of almond butter
    clementine

Dinner (This was a huge plate of food and only ~500 calories!)
    leftover bacon wrapped goat cheese stuffed chicken breast (~3oz)
    1/2 bratwurst (leftover)
    zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli
    1/2 sweet potato
    spinach salad with a sprinkling of goat cheese, 1 tomato, 1/2 a cucumber, 1/4 avocado

Evening snack
    blueberries (~12)
    5 squares of Green & Blacks organic 85% dark chocolate (squares are quite small)
    1 oz of lake country cheese

Exercise - a 2.5 mile hike with my husband.

I estimated 1446 total calories, 69 g fat. 125 g carbs, 91g protein using Mynetdiary. My weight loss has tracked very closely with predictions, so this app works well for me. I estimate exercise calories using iRunner - 185 calories for my hike. I do better with somewhat higher carbs. Some people on this forum prefer low carb (<50 g/day), but that makes me feel faint, so I don't do that.
    Hope this works for you too!

I've read all marks books except primal connection and the paleo solution. I own quite a few paleo cookbooks. I'm used to tracking with a SAD low fat diet so I can do it to keep my carbs in the curve. Ive taken out grains, legumes, corn but still eat dairy. Mostly full fat Greek yogurt with about 1tbsp honey and either peaches,grapes or strawberries added for a dessert. I also have coffee in the am with heavy cream and honey. I love it. I have done low fat diets for so long. With all the junk people eat you'd think 2 tbsp of honey a day wouldn't break the bank but I think my body is being stubborn. Other than those treats I eat and cook meat,veggies use bacon fat to cook in and use top quality meat. Think the honey is holding me back?

I'm am game to all your suggestions. I'm 4'11 and 135lbs. Where do I find what the appropriate macro ratios for me? Lol do I need to go back and reread the books? Ive already quit smoking and my Dr Pepper addiction over the last year and a half. I lost 16 lbs on low fat diet and put back a bit on vacation this summer but I want to conquer the rest of the weight this year. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yes, maybe the honey. Also, maybe too much fat. You only need a little to start the fat burning process, the rest comes already stored on your body. Astromom's menu looks great. Eggs were a great standby for me, keeping me satisfied longer than yoghurt for example.

My approach would be to make sure you have adequate protein at every meal eg two eggs, a serving of meat, chicken; plenty of non-starchy veges, and a little fat. Only a little fruit and sweet potato.
    Last edited by Annieh; 07-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Annieh that's great advice. You are probably right on the fat issue. I'll start that right away. Y'all are awesome keep it coming!

Little Vase is the Shangri La where you eat fat between meals? Astromom thanks for the view of your day very helpful

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep, it's that. If you have a spare hour read through this - it's a good read.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast