Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen feet/water retention page

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member

Swollen feet/water retention

Shop Now
    Does anyone have any ideas on something I can try that might help with this? I saw a doctor about it several times who just cycled through a few different kinds of water pills, and none of it helped, so I eventually stopped going.

I've tried dousing my feet with very cold water at the end of taking a shower (I've heard that's supposed to help get the circulation going) for a week or two, that didn't help.

I'm sure it's caused by the fact that I sit at a desk all day and plus I like salt and haven't given up processed food, so I probably get too much sodium as well. I do go for walks (usually 25 minutes or so), so it's not like I don't get any exercise.

I was hoping it'd go away once I started losing weight, but I've lost 34 lbs and the situation with my feet has barely changed if at all.

Admittedly, I have not tried elevating my feet (can't sleep on my back and I don't have time to sit around with my feet up--I wish), and I haven't tried compression socks because they're so expensive.

Any ideas? (other than giving up salt--not ready to do that just yet)

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    You seem to have given all your own answers. Try those.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I have a coworker with edema and I don't think it has much to do with her weight. She just takes a water pill.

Put your feet up for a little while, try lower salt....it sounds like you know the common treatments.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I have the same problem, been on RX diuretics for years to my detriment. Lowering sodium definitely helps, but you should also increase your potassium. Saunas and sauna suits or just old fashioned sweaty exercise helps. Hanging upside down on an inversion table might help as well.

Understand that whatever you do is managing the symptoms of some other underlying problem. Could be anything from hormones to low albumin to digestive issues or all of the above.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I hadn't heard about the potassium, or the sauna idea--I'll try those.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It's not plain edema, it's a circulatory issue. I have the same thing. You might find compression hose work. I have used them on airplane trips. For me, the solution was a footrest at my desk.

A separate issue (that may or may not be related) is ankle or foot swelling caused by dietary sensitivity. Boiled milk or some wine will cause my feet and ankles to swell, and it will take days for the swelling to go down. I know someone who has this happen when she eats shellfish. In this case I think benadryl ought to help, but the solution would be to avoid that thing you are sensitive to.

I've found that the thinner I get, the less it is an issue. But it's still there.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    why are you still eating processed food? it's not just the sodium that can cause swelling, but the dyes, preservatives, krap oils and even krappier grains.

i had some foot and knee issues and needed to sleep with my legs elevated. can only sleep on my stomach so it was a learning curve and i never woke up that way, but it still helped.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 07-10-2013 at 06:24 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Fantazmic is offline Member
    I agree with noodletoy

you need to eat Primal properly and be patient.....it can take a while for underlying issues to resolve.....nothing will change if you keep eating crap

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    As someone else said, get a foot rest. A foot rest that rocks encourages you to keep moving your legs. Making sure you get up and walk at least once per hour is also important.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    For me, the solution was a footrest at my desk.
    I suppose I could try keeping my feet up while they're under my desk. In fact, I had a box under my desk that isn't being used, so it's now being used as a footrest =P

A separate issue (that may or may not be related) is ankle or foot swelling caused by dietary sensitivity. Boiled milk or some wine will cause my feet and ankles to swell, and it will take days for the swelling to go down. I know someone who has this happen when she eats shellfish. In this case I think benadryl ought to help, but the solution would be to avoid that thing you are sensitive to.
    I've been thinking about giving up dairy (at least for while, just to see what happens) due to other issues it might be causing--I guess this would be another reason to try that. Benadryl might be worth trying, again, just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    why are you still eating processed food? it's not just the sodium that can cause swelling, but the dyes, preservatives, krap oils and even krappier grains.
    Well, I pretty much avoid the crap oils and grains--just because I haven't 100% given up processed foods doesn't mean I'm living on SAD junk all the time and that I don't read labels. Right now, I cannot make from scratch every little scrap of food I eat because I work a full-time job and I live in someone else's house where I usually don't get access to their stove in the evening--I will be moving in August and that will change, but for right now, I need to rely on SOME stuff that's convenient, otherwise I'd have to switch to being a raw vegan and I think that'd be worse for me (not that I'd want to anyway).

i had some foot and knee issues and needed to sleep with my legs elevated. can only sleep on my stomach so it was a learning curve and i never woke up that way, but it still helped.
    I should specify that I get some pretty intense back pain if I sleep on my back (thanks to scholiosis, probably)--it's not just that I can't sleep in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Making sure you get up and walk at least once per hour is also important.
    That's a good point, especially right now when there's no work to do. Normally, I'd be getting up to use the copy machine or scanner every once in awhile, but when there's no work to do, I just read stuff on the internet all day and don't even think to get out of my chair.

Thanks for the ideas, guys--even if it seems like I'm being difficult, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Cyborcat; 07-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast