Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I *need* a carb binge every 14 days... or do I? page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

I *need* a carb binge every 14 days... or do I?

Thrive Market
    Question:

Since my beginning with Paleo eating (June 2012), I seem to do well for about 14 days with low carb (under 60g) and then I have an intense day of cravings, fatigue, irritability, etc. I find myself eating upwards of 200g of carbs on those days.

Today was a day. Over the span of 8 hours, I have eaten a tub or Steve's Paleo Crunch (80g), maybe 1c raw rolled oats (made my own meusli; 60g), raisins (30g), horrible tasting protein bar (32g), 1 big square of the Congo bars I made the kids (unknown, but it was gluten and sugar which I'm avoiding). 3T coconut oil ghee. Nothing else.

So, conservatively speaking, I inhaled 250g of carbs today which is up to 10 times what I eat in a regular day.

Do I NEED this day? Or do I work hard to make sure I have a 16 oz rib eye handy for these days? Is my body telling me something and/or am I misinterpreting the signals? It happens so regularly I'm confused between habit or physiology. Should I just fight through the urge and maintain *control*?

Any suggestions? I don't feel extra good the following day, so I'm not thinking this is necessarily a cry for carbs.

I guess next time I will eat a huge portion of animal protein and see if that satiates me better than the carbs. I find myself grazing the entire day while I try to fill the void. It feels 'primal', if that makes sense!

I am not heavy. I am not too thin. Perimenopausal. Hormones?

Thanks, in advance.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    sounds to me like your body definitely needs more carbs but i'm not sure binging is the best approach. why not just add a bit more to your normal diet and see what happens? carbs are not evil, especially in the form of root veg, fruit etc.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    My thought is that if it doesn't have a negative consequence, do what you want. Leaving it as it is is one option, or increasing daily carbs to cover the difference- so like 100 g/day, is another option that might change the pattern.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    You MIGHT very well need it. Some people can do 60g carbs a day, others just can't do that. There's a reason why a lot of people have weekly carb binges.

Thanks, everyone. I'll add that I don't spend the first 14 days punishing or restricting myself of carbs. It comes on like a sledge hammer one morning. Always 14-15 days apart.

I'm going to eat a big old steak the next time to see if it fills the same void. I guess the part that bugs me in the inability to feel full during those times. The hours of grazing and searching for *something* I cannot quite put my finger on...

I am very tired on these carb binge days. I wake up that way.

I will up the daily carbs with sweet potato or winter squash to see if that helps. I was a huge squash eater this winter (actually turned my palms orange) without much relief from the bi-monthly binge.

I'm wondering about hormones. Crazy old lady hormones. That, and old habits die hard. I used to be a grazer and not a meal eater prior to going Paleo.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    That kinda sounds like me when I was doing VLC except that for me after a while the binges began happening more and more often. Once I got my macros more balanced on a daily basis, I immediately stopped the binging.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    50 yr. old woman here.

Hormones! Even before I went vlc, I would get hit hard by carb cravings after ovulation. Now I eat more fat and some nuts and I am fine. Before I would get terribly bloated when I went crazy on the carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    50 yr. old woman here.

Hormones! Even before I went vlc, I would get hit hard by carb cravings after ovulation. Now I eat more fat and some nuts and I am fine. Before I would get terribly bloated when I went crazy on the carbs.
    Okay. That is me over the past year.

I am trying to limit the nuts, but I will try fats next time. Bacon fat! Or just a big hunk of rib eye.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I have those days too. I think it is semi hormone related. Mine tend to be kitchen snacking on dried fruits, any chocolate around. If I go shopping then watch out chips and English dolly mixtures and jelly babies. Most if the time I am very stoic and have no trouble with resistance. Soo annoying. Can be hard to get strict again afterward.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now up to around 101lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The best thing to do with carb cravings is eat fruit, in my experience, because its satiating.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast