Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I am wondering about micronutrients after what you just wrote. Specifically, D3, iron, magnesium, and zinc. Getting enough sun/ supplementing D3? Eating liver? Oysters?

I got mine dialed in, no more perimenopausal symptoms! Here's a blog post I wrote on the topic:
    Nutrition for a Juicy Menopause - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
    I am not getting a lot of outdoor time since I started working again in May. I do take a D3 but only 4000IU in winter and 2500IU in summer; maybe 3-4 days week. Daily fish oil (1.5g), coQ10, Bcomplex but not multimineral. I do have some zinc picolinate in my cabinet which I take rarely (my cabinet is full of vitamins since I have a child on the Autism Spectrum who I treat biomedically).

I'll start taking the multimineral and zinc. I don't take any supplemental iron nor do I eat specific iron rich foods like the oysters. I get so constipated when I take iron.

Zinc could be an issue. Thanks for reminding me. Zinc deficiency has been thought to be involved in bulimia/anorexia so maybe tied to appetite more than we realize. I have an eating disorder history (see, more info comes out). I'll take that for a bit. I have a 25mcg zinc picolinate.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 07-10-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Just a thought- I got an app called P Tracker for my phone- maps your period cycles. You can put in notes about food cravings, moods, energy. Might be worth tracking. I know that at different times in my cycle, I want carbs. Like right before my period, I could eat a mountain of carbs. Right now, I could care less about carbs. I think I get another spike around ovulation. That could explain it.

I'm not sure how you could work around hormone fluctuations.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't think personally that it is lack of carbs overall. I think it is just those weird hormonal need for substances at odd times. I don't think it is a real need just a craving. Cravings don't have to be things you need nutritionally, I have found I crave a lot of things I am actually allergic to and have heard that to be very common, mood plays a big role. Tracking your timing may help to realize when it happens and maybe taking extra vitamins, L-Glutamine, Evening Primrose Oil. or something that helps balance the hormones may help. I also can get into that kind of stupor, where I just keep getting up and going to the kitchen for yet another handful of dried fruit, coconut ice cream, or whatever I can find. Doc has just put me back on Progesterone cream, I think being off it for a couple of months has really exacerbated my cravings/moods. I think I am already starting to feel better. I personally don't think eating more carbs at other times would affect the binge days whatsoever. I had those binge days when I was SAD.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Just a thought- I got an app called P Tracker for my phone- maps your period cycles. You can put in notes about food cravings, moods, energy. Might be worth tracking. I know that at different times in my cycle, I want carbs. Like right before my period, I could eat a mountain of carbs. Right now, I could care less about carbs. I think I get another spike around ovulation. That could explain it.

I'm not sure how you could work around hormone fluctuations.
    Haven't had a period since November. I'm 48. I still think i have some wild hormonal fluctuations, but I don't have that obvious period to calendar. I am hopeful that periods will come back since I feel too young for menopause!

I am starting to agree that this isn't about carbs. Thanks for working it out with me out loud.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

PrimalCon New York
    Last two days I have upped my fat intake. Feeling good. Bacon...

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234