Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I *need* a carb binge every 14 days... or do I? page 3

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I just think if you are healthy and at a normal weight, arbitrarily limiting carbs and ignoring your what your body is telling you is just plain stupid. 60g is an arbitrary number that you invented and clearly it isn't working for you. So have your refeed and enjoy it. Or up the daily intake and enjoy that. I don't really see this as an issue. If your body wants carbs, eat them. Close thread
    Eeek. Somebody is less than pleasant today. Feel free to stop replying if you have nothing more to add. It really doesn't help me figure this all out anyway. Why waste your energy on me?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Today was a day. Over the span of 8 hours, I have eaten a tub or Steve's Paleo Crunch (80g), maybe 1c raw rolled oats (made my own meusli; 60g), raisins (30g), horrible tasting protein bar (32g), 1 big square of the Congo bars I made the kids (unknown, but it was gluten and sugar which I'm avoiding). 3T coconut oil ghee. Nothing else.

Any suggestions? I don't feel extra good the following day, so I'm not thinking this is necessarily a cry for carbs.
    My first suggestion would be to make sure you have plenty to drink today. What you ate sounds so....dehydrating! Like...sort of flavored cardboard-ish. You obviously love you some carbs, so why not make yummy rice and potato dishes instead? There's not a thing wrong with eating carbs, and especially if you aren't looking to lose weight, you may as well up your carbs.

And don't necessarily pay any attention to anyone who tells you to "listen to your body". Your body told you to eat a lot of crap today so maybe your body isn't very good at communicating yet : )
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Eeek. Somebody is less than pleasant today. Feel free to stop replying if you have nothing more to add. It really doesn't help me figure this all out anyway. Why waste your energy on me?
    i'm simply trying to help. what you are doing (binging every 2 weeks) isn't necessarily a bad thing . i'm just trying to help you recognize this. lots of people do a once weekly carb re-feed. it isn't detrimental to goals (which, you haven't mentioned, but judging by your stats, are probably just overall health) and if it makes you feel mentally and physically better, then go for it. not sure why you think that honesty is less than pleasant? and not sure why you think that a carb re-feed or eating a higher amount of carbs is the wrong thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    My first suggestion would be to make sure you have plenty to drink today. What you ate sounds so....dehydrating! Like...sort of flavored cardboard-ish. You obviously love you some carbs, so why not make yummy rice and potato dishes instead? There's not a thing wrong with eating carbs, and especially if you aren't looking to lose weight, you may as well up your carbs.

And don't necessarily pay any attention to anyone who tells you to "listen to your body". Your body told you to eat a lot of crap today so maybe your body isn't very good at communicating yet : )
    her body didn't tell her to eat crap, it told her to eat carbs. and she did. homemade muesli, oats, and homemade protein bars aren't crap. maybe she should lean more towards things like white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc, but it's not like she downed a case of twizzlers and a 2 liter of coke. what "crap" did she eat? and why shouldn't she listen to her body? should she be like the idiot in the other thread and ignored his body, and misunderstood what he read and ate no carb and became seriously ill? 3 times? all because he ignored his body and common sense?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    In your day to day, are you restricting carbs or do you just tend to eat more fat and protein?
    I would just try and make your day to day more balanced. Or just eat a bunch of good carbs when you want them. I don't see how 200 grams of carbs is a big deal. At all.

Carbs....are really not a big deal. Now, carbs are a big deal when they are like 80% of your diet and include a bunch of white flour, sugar and other crap. But 200 grams of carbs twice a month isn't even approaching the level of imbalance that SAD and CW offer.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    To be more clear: I did say yesterday I ate up to 10 times what I would eat (carb counting) on some days, but not all days. I do not aggressively carb restrict or carb count, really. I'm giving an estimate so I could be way off (I do have a food log on Whole30 site so I guess I could go back and actually count). I do eat huge sweet potatoes some days and I ate 1/2 winter squash daily for months and months to the point of turning yellow. What I am not eating are any grains aside from maybe a weekly dose of sushi. No more beans. No more kamut or split peas. No more brown rice. For the week prior to this last binge I had been eating that meusli for breakfast every morning to see if I could tolerate adding oats back to my diet after Whole30. My carb intake was pretty good and the binge day still happened.

The protein bar was store bought. So, crap. An "Oh Yeah" bar that tasted like shit and read like a science experiment. Had I had junk in the house I would have eaten it for sure. I did go after the homemade cookie bars I made the kids but opted for the healthier stuff instead since eliminating white sugar this spring stopped my hot flashes and I don't care to go back to 24 of those per day like I was having in April of this year. In the past, I probably would have eaten 2/3 bag dark chocolate chips mixed in with those raw oats.

What I don't like about it is the near fugue state I feel on those days once I start eating. It is a 2 week pattern that I hate to repeat over and over again. I do appreciate the bottom line advice behind what 'not on the rug' is giving but I'm not content to just stop exploring the reasons. I read that Mark almost killed me thread and I'm not him. My Primal living is not about eating zero carbs. That 60g number has been tossed around this site quite a bit so I adopted it as an experimental goal for me. Initially, removing gluten and sugar were incredibly effective in increasing my energy and reducing my belly bloat and low level depression that nagged me. It seemed like a good idea to continue but obviously I need some tweaking.

I feel horrible this morning. Bloated and moody. I think I'm having a hot flash right now.

The problem with a forum like this is often the entire story isn't told up front. I think of things to add in response to what people are saying. My initial question is not so simple, I suppose. What holds true is I can't seem to make it beyond 15 days without falling face first into food I'd rather not be eating in large quantities and I don't know why. I'm nervous that I'll start doing it every 7 days and then every 2-3 days if I just 'go with it'. I don't want to go back there.

Thanks (to everyone)

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i'd say, like magnolia mentioned as well, to make your daily diet slightly more balanced in terms of ratios then. it will keep you from feeling these intense cravings every 2 weeks, and it still a healthy approach to eating primal/paleo. you also hadn't mentioned your activity level. normal daily activity, exercise, etc. highly active people and people who work out regularly tend to require more carbs than those who are more sedentary. i'd definitely say that the rice in sushi is a-ok, as well as sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, fruit, etc. maybe the 60gram number is simply not enough for you? maybe try 80g daily for a few weeks? maybe 100g? on a side note, how do the oats make you feel?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I am wondering about micronutrients after what you just wrote. Specifically, D3, iron, magnesium, and zinc. Getting enough sun/ supplementing D3? Eating liver? Oysters?

I got mine dialed in, no more perimenopausal symptoms! Here's a blog post I wrote on the topic:
    http://www.sondrarose.com/nutrition-...uicy-menopause

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm a middle-aged woman and I think I know where you are coming from.

Over time here I have gravitated away from both worrying about macros and away from high fat/low carb. What I do now is I eat sort of a body-builder diet I guess you could say. Lean protein at every meal, vegetables with perhaps a small spoonful of coconut oil to keep me from feeling hungry again too quickly. On days I lift weights or sometimes just because I want it I will add or substitute a sweet potato for the veggies. I seems to come in at around 125g carbs daily or so. The nice thing is I feel pretty calmly satisfied most of the time, which is nice, plus I am slowly leaning out and building muscle and getting PRs lifting weights.

On weekends I ease up a little. I'll have some wine or beer, maybe a dessert or chocolate or just not be as picky in general. I almost always make one big paleo mug cake for myself on the weekend. I don't eat way over on calories or carbs, just a little more, just to take the edge off my weekday strictness and be less rigid.

This seems a lot mellower to me than other things I have done. There's not some build up to a release and i don't feel mentally anguished about it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I feel horrible this morning. Bloated and moody.
    Yeah. Not surprised. I have been where you are. Just take it easy and drink whatever it is you drink!
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast