Thread: Interesting Article on Enjoying the Pleasure that Food Brings page

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member

Interesting Article on Enjoying the Pleasure that Food Brings

My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    He takes a good starting point to a stupid conclusion.

If food should be enjoyed then it is more important, not less. The lesson isn't EAT, but eat great food. I won't deviate from my food plan for a Snickers. I do deviate from my food plan for fine dining.

By the way, second time I've citing this book today but I really do like it- the first points he is making are well made and expanded upon in the book The Cult of Pharmacology by Richard DeGrandpre.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I agree there's a lot of tedious martyrbation on health blogs. "If you aren't hungry you aren't burning fat" etc. I believe our taste buds are trustworthy guides to healthful whole foods, but once the refiners and chemists get their paws on it all bets are off.

I exclude sugar because it's useless, not because it's pleasant (I don't classify it as food).
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

patski is offline Senior Member
    Read that article yesterday. Put a big smile on my face.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I wish he would have delved more into our power over what we perceive to enjoy. We all have a lot more involvement in the process than we give ourselves credit for.

How you phrase and believe things in your own mind can make or break any lifestyle change. Which sentence best describes your outlook?

Do you "have to" eat real whole healthy foods and avoid sugar.

Or

Do you "get to" nourish your body with the best most flavorful foods because you love yourself that much!

Really there is much more to the mental side that people could be talking about.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-09-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    And actually I do think food should taste good. It really should as long as your brain isn't nuked from your previous death diet (AKA SAD). A bit of sugar in your coffee... fine! But if it takes you five teaspoons...... you probably got a problem.... either you don't actually like coffee, or you sensory system is nuked. Everything in context though yada, yada, yada.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    What is it about people interested in nutrition that makes them want to remove virtually every bit of pleasure from eating?
    he's starting with a flawed premise. MY FOOD IS DELICIOUS. i love to cook, and do so for my b/f as well as entertain often. people beg me to have parties so they can eat my food, lol. they don't even realize what my personal parameters might be and that they are happily munching away within them.

it has been an interesting evolution for my tastebuds though. when my diet was grain-based, i never "really" enjoyed red meat or much offal, and now there are days i crave it. must. have. liver. like that. after awhile of being grain-free, i was blown away by how sweet red peppers tasted, so yeah, context.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    I have the same issue. Thing is I really don't crave sweets anymore, but I think I might be addicted to FAT.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    I have the same issue. Thing is I really don't crave sweets anymore, but I think I might be addicted to FAT.
    I may become addicted to Rainer cherries. When I Googled for nutritional info (antioxidants, yeah!), one page had a quote about how no one should ruin Rainer cherries by putting them in a pie or a tart. Darn tootin'! Rainer cherries, freshly washed, are amazingly delicious, and I take very (very) great pleasure from eating them. Nom!
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Haha the spat I've been having with choco inspired ya to do some research hey?

The article is right, carbs don't signal our pleasure centers any more or less than a whole array of other pleasurable experiences, even when comparing food, carbs don't have any significantly different dopamine response. Ellicit drug addiction also uses dopamine signaling to trap users into a destructive cycle. But....

Carb addiction exists very clearly in populations, but its genesis doesn't arise from dopamine/ pleasure response signaling. It comes about from the fact that, if your blood sugar doesn't stop dropping you could be dead in a day. Every time BS drops you have to do something to stop it dropping, There are many ways to do this, the most common is by adding carbs by mouth. Over many years the person saving their life everyday by adding carbs exogenously, simply get used to doing it and forget the other forms of glucose raising the body can do, these other methods get atrophied (try not using your arm for a few years and see what happens to it, to see this effect) so the cycle is repeated.

Every time blood glucose drops, which is usually 2-3 hours, a carb addicted person adds some more by mouth, altho their body don't care what source of carbs do this, other parts of the body do, particularly the pleasure sensing regions. this is the disconnect choco can't grasp. he sees our body choosing what ever its pleasure center thinks is best, could be fat, could be salt, could be food texture and thinks this is the cause of obesity. he can't look past his opinions and see what is actually driving these people to eat. That is they have grown accustom to raising blood glucose every few hours by Carbs by mouth.

Choco disagrees with my advice on recommending people do a month low carb stint, to encourage new primal dieters to engage their other blood glucose raising tools. because he thinks I am demonizing carbs. which I am not. I just don't want a carb addiction hampering their weight loss efforts. He thinks that whole foods including whole carbs and a calorie deficit is all one needs to lose weight and this is quite true, if you don't have a significant habit of raising blood sugar by "visiting the fridge" or the cupboard etc.

His disagreement with my recommendations is quite ironic, he (probably) reduced his own body's reliance on exogenous carbs when he went LC at the start of his primal journey. The same irony is present for all of MDA users that did LC at the start, then changed tack and start putting people down whom think carbs have a role in obesity.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 07-10-2013 at 05:17 AM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)