Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ok folks, lay it on me, why aren't I losing weight? page 5

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    One thing to consider, many people gain no benefit in terms of fat loss from exercise. I am one. I believe there was a study, but for me, exercise has never led to weight gain. IE, I can be sedentary, eat 1500 calories a day and lose or I can run my ass off, eat 1500 a day and lose the same amount.

What exercise will do for me is help me gain muscle. I too do CF 5 days a week. Now, the programming where I go- 2 of those are just lifting days, 2 met-cons and 1 day of strength and a short metcon. So, I can eat a little more (1800-2000 calories a day) and put on muscle. And I get strong fast. And I feel amazing. My body is clearly not stressed. I sleep well, great energy, strength gains.

I think CF can be a lot of different things. I have no idea what you do at CF, but at mine, I doubt any given met con is burning more than 500 calories. At most. Like yesterday- 5 deadlifts, 10 push ups, run 200M for 20 minutes. Now we do have some brutal days, but I tend to scale it. I think people have this image of everyone who does CF doing the RX'd workouts on the site. I doubt the OP is doing that. She is probably doing a hard workout 4-6 days a week but you know, probably not 100 pullups and running 6 minute miles and doing 50 overhead squats at 95 lbs. It seems like people freak out about CF and I dunno, either they don't know or went somewhere with really bad programming. I work out with a 50 year old woman who has exactly no problem going 5 days a week, looks amazing. She scales and takes her time as needed.

If I was the OP, I'd take a good look at my workouts, make sure they were not hurting me/wiping me out for days. I'd double check the calorie count though I'm sure she has. I'd up the food a bit - try 1800 then 2000, make sure it is really clean food plus bump up the protein. I'd find a CF more targeted to strength training (or just go lift). I'd ditch the scale. I'd go buy a too small pair of jeans. I'd try said jeans on weekly. Or I'd do a bunch of measurements.

The reality is I bet the OP has a body like mine. Fat loss is slow, muscle gain is easy. But the muscle will help you burn fat, so eat and exercise to support that. It's probably also going to take a while to lose that fat.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavo View Post
    Sentences like "You dont eat enough to lose weight" are comical. If that were true, people would be unable to starve to death, which says alot about our first world ignorance.
    Actually, I think that our first-world diet gives us this unusual ability to eat too little but get enough nutrients so that we slowly down-regulate our metabolism until we can survive easily on very low calories. I think this is especially true for women whose bodies are designed to operate this way in order to continue the species.

Sure, go to 500 calories a day or eat nothing and anybody will lose weight. But if you are otherwise eating healthfully but at a chronic sub-optimal level of calories, your body will happily slow itself way way down to stay in stasis. This is especially true for people who get a lot of mid-level cardio such as runners, cyclers, people training for triathalons, long distance hikers. If the OP's cardio at her cross-fit sessions isn't intense enough it could qualify as this kind of "chronic cardio" and be contributing to the problem.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady01 View Post
    My 5 year old takes in more calories then you. You are destroying your metabolism and it's crawling like a turtle.. Soon u you will be eating 800 calories a day with 2 hours of cardio to maintain your obese weight.. You need to slowly start adding calories and reverse the metabolic adaptation your body has succumbed to..
    +1

Sentences like "You dont eat enough to lose weight" are comical. If that were true, people would be unable to starve to death
    Reductio ad absurdum aside, we're not bomb calorimeters. You can gain weight or stabilize weight at a low calorie level if and only if your metabolism is sufficiently slow. Your metabolism cannot slow to 0 (well, it can, but it means you're dead) or less than 0 (means you're dead and being eaten by vultures/hyenas/worms?).

which says alot about our first world ignorance. The solution to your problem is simple and alot of people here overthink it. You eat more than you think.
    Of course that could be the case, but also it could not be the case. CICO is a description, not a prescription, and the dependent variables and feedback loops aren't so simple as lots of people wish.

Estimated 1500 kcal could easily be 2000 or more measured ones. Stay with the basics of healthy food and movement as laid out by Marc, include weighing your food and calculating calories, be patient and you will get where you want.
    If there's one thing a martian anthropologist would find fascinating about us, it's our insistence that if a behavior doesn't work, the solution is to do more of it. It's also one definition of insanity.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Sentences like "You dont eat enough to lose weight" are comical. If that were true, people would be unable to starve to death, which says alot about our first world ignorance. The solution to your problem is simple and alot of people here overthink it. You eat more than you think. Estimated 1500 kcal could easily be 2000 or more measured ones. Stay with the basics of healthy food and movement as laid out by Marc, include weighing your food and calculating calories, be patient and you will get where you want.
    Fat people just must be too stupid to know what they are eating, that's the problem. Can't you see what is right in front of your face? Every gym in America full of people under-eating, over-exercising and staying fat... And it must be because they are all stupid. Whatever. You can read about this in a book by a guy named Mark.

If you want to find out about the kind of starvation that directly kills people, one can obtain information at the World Health Organization website. As you read, think about how this is DIFFERENT from what is described here and how absurd it is to be blind to those differences.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Dignan is offline Junior Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post
    I eat my fill, I'm not hungry for more.

This is a good idea, I will try that.

Honestly though, I am pretty sedentary being at university.
    No offense intended, but on what planet is doing crossfit 3-6 times per week considered "pretty sedentary"?

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Fat people just must be too stupid to know what they are eating, that's the problem. Can't you see what is right in front of your face? Every gym in America full of people under-eating, over-exercising and staying fat... And it must be because they are all stupid. Whatever. You can read about this in a book by a guy named Mark.

If you want to find out about the kind of starvation that directly kills people, one can obtain information at the World Health Organization website. As you read, think about how this is DIFFERENT from what is described here and how absurd it is to be blind to those differences.

The vast majority of overweight and obese people are not under eating and over exercising.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    The vast majority of overweight and obese people are not under eating and over exercising.
    Of course they aren't, they tried it and gave up. Almost everyone who has tried to lose a significant amount of weight has been through it and has given up. The problem is significant enough that Mark wrote about it in his book and made it the single topic of dialogue in the trailer to his movie. There was also a Daily Apple blog post about it a couple of weeks ago.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    If you are under eating while doing crossfit.. how have you not burnt out by now? When I started muay thai in addition to strength training I upped my carbs a lot or I had poor performance. Also, if you are satiated.. eat less satiating food. That will vary by person but as others suggested.. change your food around. Add more carbs and less fat. Find food that supplies more calories for its fill. This is just the case of learning the basics and working it to fit how your own body works.

I also second what someone else mentioned above. Check your weight by measurements as you could easily be putting on enough muscle doing crossfit to weigh the same as the fat you may be loosing.

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post

Are you serious? I'm going to have to assume this is sarcasm and you don't actually believe that all fat people are stupid. By extension, you think I'm stupid. Well f*** you lady, we all have our issues and I'd rather be fat and "stupid" than a condescending, bigoted arsehole.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post
    Are you serious? I'm going to have to assume this is sarcasm and you don't actually believe that all fat people are stupid. By extension, you think I'm stupid. Well f*** you lady, we all have our issues and I'd rather be fat and "stupid" than a condescending, bigoted arsehole.
    Um, please direct your f*** you to Mavo. I was.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast