Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok folks, lay it on me, why aren't I losing weight? page 4

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    How do your clothes fit?

You may be putting on muscle. I started CF 2 months ago and have lost no weight, but am down a dress size. I sleep well, eat a bit more carbs and protein and a bit less fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    How much organ meat do you eat?

Multivitamins can vary in quality (they are one of the 'health' things that can increase all cause mortality, likely due to an imbalance/excess of Vitamin A). And what type of thyroid supplement do you take? Iodine and Selenium are both good for you, as is some level of carbs. That's what I 'supplement' with.

p.s. I definitely agree that threre are better measures of health than just weight. While you probably do have excess fat given the height/weight you posted, focussing just on weight means that you will be subtly disincentivised to build muscles.

Try focussing on waist size or hip/waist ratio instead....
    I don't eat organ meat... I don't know what to do with it!

I'm taking a swisse women's multi, and the thyroid supplement has iodine and selenium as you said. I take thyroid because I was having symptoms (heat/cold intolerance etc). Other than weight loss resistance, I don't have those symptoms anymore and winter is a whole bunch more bearable. The doctors here are fracking useless and wouldn't test me for anything last time I went. I will try again.

As for strength gains, yeah I have come a long way very quickly. I had/have a back injury that prevented me from doing anything for a while so my strength has been going up dramatically. Its very exciting and what keeps me going back.

I do try to focus on strength and fitness gains. If I can't be slim I may as well be strong! So I definitely don't want my diet to be impeding any strength gains. I've lost an inch off my waist in the few months I've been doing paleo & crossfit.

Don't worry slim shady, I gave up the chronic cardio when I left the army. its all about wall balls now.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    This subreddit is pretty helpful and has a helpful faq.
    faq - xxfitness

Find out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). This is basically how many calories your body is estimated to burn throughout a normal day. Here is a simple online calculator to find that number for you.
    Accurate Calorie Calculator - Scooby's Home Workouts

Download a calorie-counting app or sign up to a website where you can track what you eat. You can also do this manually in a book or a spreadsheet. A good tracker should be able to show you calories consumed, as well as the protein/fat/carb values of the food you eat. MyFitnessPal, Loseit, and Fitday are all great websites for doing this.

It is recommended that if you use any of these websites, you set your own goals rather than relying on the ones they offer you. To work out how many calories you should have, take your TDEE and:

Add 10-20% to gain weight (for example if you're trying to build muscle or are currently underweight)
    Subtract 10-20% to lose weight (for example if you are currently overweight or trying to lose fat)
    Eat your TDEE to maintain weight (for example if you're just trying to improve heart health without changing your body composition)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This subreddit is pretty helpful and has a helpful faq.
    faq - xxfitness

Thanks for that. This correlates everything everyone (on this board) has said. Eat More Calories.

For my height/weight/activity I need around 2000 calories.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post
    Thanks for that. This correlates everything everyone (on this board) has said. Eat More Calories.

For my height/weight/activity I need around 2000 calories.
    We could've closed this thread after my response way back in post #2....

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    IF.

One meal a day. No snacks. Look for Pklopps three part series to ease into it.

Strength train 2x/week to keep your lean mass.

Make meat the center of your meals.

Keep at it. Stuff didn't happen overnight and the processes to normalize your hormones and physiology aren't going to either.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit 6 days a week on 1500 calories? Holy crap!

mavo is offline Junior Member
    Sentences like "You dont eat enough to lose weight" are comical. If that were true, people would be unable to starve to death, which says alot about our first world ignorance. The solution to your problem is simple and alot of people here overthink it. You eat more than you think. Estimated 1500 kcal could easily be 2000 or more measured ones. Stay with the basics of healthy food and movement as laid out by Marc, include weighing your food and calculating calories, be patient and you will get where you want.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Probably the stress of the Crosfitting 3-6 times a week.

that is far too much stress for your body and especially as you are eating so little.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Echoing the above:

Cut back to maybe three days a week of workouts.

Complete your diet so you don't need ineffective supplements. This means eat liver, eggs, oysters, seaweed, berries and a few other nutrient-dense foods that will actually provide digestible nutrition you think you are getting from your sand pill. When your body has enough B vitamins and the rest, it is easier for it to metabolize fat and it will also help to repair damaged or sluggish organs. I highly recommend heart for coenzyme Q10 to build mitochondria, and liver because it renders your vitamin pill unnecessary. About a pound per week, medium/rare is best. And at least six eggs a day. If you aren't hungry enough to eat a pound of meat and six eggs, you are probably eating too often. Get hungry before you eat.

Yes, eat a lot more if you're going to work out so ridiculously often that your body thinks it has to fight to survive.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast