Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok folks, lay it on me, why aren't I losing weight? page 3

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'd lose those non-starchy veggies and replace them with potatoes, white rice, rice pasta, bananas, plantains, oranges, watermelon, etc. do you like sushi? That would be a great post-CF meal. Your diet looks Paleo picture perfect, but it's low in energy and nutrients for your height/weight and activity level. Try adding more of everything and increasing fruit and starches. I'd also suggest calorie cycling; dont have to eat the same amount every day.

I also agree with getting your hormones checked out. You should be losing weight on 1200/day, but things can get messed up along the way, especially with such a low carb intake and vigorous workouts.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post
    I do crossfit 3-6 times a week.

Generally aim for 1200-1500 calories per day, and less than 100 grams of carbs.
    There's your answer. You can't Crossfit and stay below 100g/day of carbs and expect to lose weight. Especially not 6 WODs a week! You'll eventually crash and burn, and won't be any slimmer for your efforts.
    I'd limit the Crossfit to 3 WODs a week max, and stay in that primal sweet spot of 100-150g carbs daily. Add some long walks, gentle yoga, bike rides, or sprints to the days in between if you feel the need to move. Try getting your carbs from starchy veg rather than fruit, though some fruit can help you stay sane.
    I'm only saying this from personal experience. My first run with CF ended badly 9 months later, when I was needing 5-7 days to recover and couldn't even walk most of those. I now eat more in the 90-130g range, staying higher on workout days and the day after, and only going twice a week. Good luck, I hope this helps.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

slimshady01 is offline Junior Member
    My 5 year old takes in more calories then you. You are destroying your metabolism and it's crawling like a turtle.. Soon u you will be eating 800 calories a day with 2 hours of cardio to maintain your obese weight.. You need to slowly start adding calories and reverse the metabolic adaptation your body has succumbed to..

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Everyone is focussing on eating enough/not enough calories. That's not what I thought of first.

Calories may be the most important 'nutrient' we need, but it's far from the only one. OP, is it possible that you're missing out on some vitamins and minerals you need?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Everyone is focussing on eating enough/not enough calories. That's not what I thought of first.

Calories may be the most important 'nutrient' we need, but it's far from the only one. OP, is it possible that you're missing out on some vitamins and minerals you need?
    I take a multi vitamin and a thyroid supplement. Any other vitamins and minerals I should be concerned about?
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

Go google layne norton metabolic shutdown.. Talks specifically about your problem.

My wife had it, she was down to 800 cals a day and working out 5 days a week with extensive cardio.. I slowly upped her cals to 1500 gave her a break from cardio and now a year later is down 40lbs and rock solid. She toggles her calories now .. Workout days are higher carbs and cals and non workout days are lower carb lower calories.. Working very well.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Your starting backsquat was 50 lb and you are now on 132 lbs. So you have become almost 3 times as strong, this extra muscle will account for quite a lot of your weight surely? The question is, how do you look - is that different? If you were to compare body fat alone, rather than overall weight, has it gone down?

Also - what type of stuff are you doing in crossfit? The best way for most people to lose weight (or rather, burn fat) is walking every day.

Agreed that you should check your thyroid.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I take a multi vitamin and a thyroid supplement. Any other vitamins and minerals I should be concerned about?
    What is the thyroid supplement and do you have a established/treated thyroid problem?

Check free t3 and t4, reverse t3 etc.. You need a good doc to check more then tsh and the basics.. Get on a thyroid board and see what to specifically ask for .

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    How much organ meat do you eat?

Multivitamins can vary in quality (they are one of the 'health' things that can increase all cause mortality, likely due to an imbalance/excess of Vitamin A). And what type of thyroid supplement do you take? Iodine and Selenium are both good for you, as is some level of carbs. That's what I 'supplement' with.

p.s. I definitely agree that threre are better measures of health than just weight. While you probably do have excess fat given the height/weight you posted, focussing just on weight means that you will be subtly disincentivised to build muscles.

Try focussing on waist size or hip/waist ratio instead....
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-09-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast