Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Jello thread ;) page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

The Ultimate Jello thread ;)

Hey everyone,

I'm just getting into making the stuff and need your tips and inspiration... so share your jello recipes here!

My current jello recipe:

Raspberry tea jello

This is a great way to get both gelatine and raspberry tea into the diet (raspberry tea is good for raising progesterone)

2 envelopes Knox gelatine, 2 raspberry tea bags, 4 teaspoons sugar / maple syrup. Water to taste.

Also: I keep trying to make jello sweets, but they come out too watery. What should the gelatine to water ratio be?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    This is a timely thread. I'm ramping up my gelatin intake now. I don't have any advice to offer as I've never attempted to make gel treats, but it's on my to-do list so I'm looking forward to the conversation.

Derp posted a video a while back, I don't remember which thread it was though. I want to make fruit chewies.

ETA: I subscribe to this blog and this recipe looks delish: Creamsicle Gummy Fruit Snacks | The Coconut Mama
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

diene is offline Senior Member
    I make an almond flavored one.

Coconut milk (I use the stuff out of cartons--So Delicious--don't know if you have it in the UK, and it definitely contains crap--gums and whatnot, but it's only 45 calories a cup, as opposed to like 500 calories or whatever *real* coconut milk contains.)
    almond extract to taste (I like it really almondy)
    stevia (obviously, you can also use regular sugar/syrup)
    gelatine

Unfortunately, I don't measure anything, but I've made jello enough times that I can eyeball the amounts of liquid vs gelatine and end up with the consistency that I want. I prefer soft jellos so I use a high water-to-gelatine ratio.

About proportions, in my experience, approximately 1.5 cups liquid (the amount that fits in a standard glass) + 2 tbsp gelatine makes a very very firm jello (don't like). And approximately 3 cups liquid plus 1 tbsp gelatine makes a very soft jello that I like but most people will likely find too watery. So I'm guessing that 1.5 cups liquid + 1 tbsp gelatine will yield a nice normal consistency.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have found that 1 tablespoon of gelatin + 2 cups of liquid makes a nice texture for dessert gelatine. I'm not sure that gelatine is the best thickener for jelly candy (if that's what you mean). I have used agar and seen recipes using pectin for those, like locoum.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I don't have the exact measurements either, but I really like my coconut (or any other kind) milk/raw sugar/cocoa/gelatin/hot water thing.
    I use 3 envelopes of gelatin, approx. 2 Tb. sp. cocoa powder, sugar to taste, 1/2 cup coconut milk and fill the rest of a 2 lb. glass jar with very hot water. I blend it with an immersion blender and chill in the fridge.
    You'd have to play around with the quantities though.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone!

Green Tea Jello!

An experiment went right yesterday! I have a shit-ton of green tea leaves which I'm unlikely to consume, but I remembered in some Asian restaurants they have green tea ice cream! Brewed green tea, added honey and gelatine, and the result was green tea jello. And it was yum

I like the idea of using gelatine to consume beverages I couldn't be bothered with most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    This is a timely thread. I'm ramping up my gelatin intake now. I don't have any advice to offer as I've never attempted to make gel treats, but it's on my to-do list so I'm looking forward to the conversation.

Derp posted a video a while back, I don't remember which thread it was though. I want to make fruit chewies.

ETA: I subscribe to this blog and this recipe looks delish: Creamsicle Gummy Fruit Snacks | The Coconut Mama
    Thanks for that link! It seems you can make sweets by really upping the dosage of gelatine so it's 1:3, gelatine:liquid. I like the look of that second recipe
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    I played around a bit on Saturday. Used 2 leaves of gelatine to set about 125ml (half a cup) of coconut milk with about a teaspoon of honey and set in chocolate moulds. I used one teaspoon (about 10g) of powdered gelatin to set the juice of one orange (again, about 120ml) and poured it into chocolate moulds as well. The powdered gelatin pack says to use 1 teaspoon to 500ml (2 cups) of liquid.

They were both yummy and cute, but the coconut ones where a bit too soft for my liking.

I turned the uneaten ones out of the moulds on Sunday and left them on a plate in the fridge. By Monday night they were quite dry at the edges and starting to curl up, and really not so nice.

So the moral is: make sure you keep your Jelly covered, or eat it quickly.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    I started making jello when I stumbled across the site: Homemade Healthy Jello Snacks | Primally Inspired. It made nice orange jello cubes and the kiddo even liked it.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I made my best yet jello creation today:

1 cup very hot milk
    Sweetener ( I used 3 tb spoons raw sugar)
    Water
    1 packet gelatin, but you can use even more than that.
    Few drops vanilla extract

In a large coffee mug stir all ingredients except for milk. Add hot milk , stir and chill.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Kombucha jello. You are welcome.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast