Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Jello thread ;) page 4

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    That has really got me thinking about how I can add gelatin to dishes, thanks, it is actually very logical, I could add gelatin to semifreddo too (no ice cream maker).
    I add it to chili, stews and soups as well. They firm into "Jello" when cold in the fridge, then melt to normal consistency when heated. I just made a very large pot of chili and put in 2 packets of Knox gelatine. I always do this. Taste and texture are completely unaffected when warm or hot. No one will have any idea it's there.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

squishie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Here's my most recent batch:

Can I ask how you made the Kombucha "jelly". I have been pretty obsessed with Kombucha brewing for almost a year now and would love to combine it with my newest obsession with gelatin... Did you heat up the Kombucha to dissolve the gelatin? Does heating harm all the Kombucha "goodies"?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I cooked and mixed strawberries and rhubarb with Knox for today's flavor, Stevia to taste.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    4 packets of Knox, 3 cups of boiled organic grape juice, 1 cup of cold (room temp, actually) grape juice. I just follow the directions on the box. Tasty! I haven't had grape juice in ages.

I wasn't sure what it would be like. It's firmer than jello (probably isn't going to melt at room temp either), softer than gummy snacks.

Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    4 packets of Knox, 3 cups of boiled organic grape juice, 1 cup of cold (room temp, actually) grape juice. I just follow the directions on the box. Tasty! I haven't had grape juice in ages.

I wasn't sure what it would be like. It's firmer than jello (probably isn't going to melt at room temp either), softer than gummy snacks.

Looks like the jello Jigglers we used to make when my 17 y/o was a toddler. Not hard like gummy candy but not as squishy as regular jello.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Any recipe that calls for flour/cornstarch as a thickener can be replaced with gelatin. This includes mousse, pudding, rice pudding, custard, ice cream, flan, etc. All can be made with gelatin - and in a very healthy way at that.
    I've always made rice pudding as a custard in the oven. My recipe uses eggs and milk. How do you substitute the gelatin or would you just add it without changing anything else? I'd love to make it with the gelatin.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    Can I ask how you made the Kombucha "jelly". I have been pretty obsessed with Kombucha brewing for almost a year now and would love to combine it with my newest obsession with gelatin... Did you heat up the Kombucha to dissolve the gelatin? Does heating harm all the Kombucha "goodies"?
    Yes, I heated it slightly, not enough to kill it, just warm to the touch so the gelatin dissolves. That way, all the good little buddies don't die.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    That looks very similar to how I make my own "Gorbag Jello" made on CokeZero, limejuice, gelatin powder and extra aspartame for more sweetness...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    I've always made rice pudding as a custard in the oven. My recipe uses eggs and milk. How do you substitute the gelatin or would you just add it without changing anything else? I'd love to make it with the gelatin.
    I would just make it "soupier" than normal and add gelatin to compensate. I did 2 packets in my latest batch.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ... if you "do" dairy, don't forget Panna Cotta.

... better still, Panna Cotta over Jelly (what we call Jello over here in't UK):

Living in the Ice Age: Eat More Gelatine!

Do try to get it before the cat, though ...

Recipes?

Jelly - Red grape juice (just juice, from grapes ... not concentrate or full of stabilisers, sweeteners and so on) and sufficient gelatine to set.
    Panna Cotta - single cream, sufficient gelatine to set, splash of vanilla essence, touch of honey (if required).

I've taken to making up a pint of jelly, dividing into 6 glasses, four half full ready for topping with Panna Cotta and two simply topped up with frozen berries:

... touch of double cream on top.

It certainly makes a fun change from oxtail and lamb shanks.

I do like red wine, so may well make up a half and half red grape juice and a good Burgundy. Maybe next time I buy a bottle. Also, blackberries are just about to come into season and the bushes all around look loaded! I guess we'll be sick of blackberry jelly in a month, or so ...
    Last edited by pjgh; 08-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast