Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Jello thread ;) page 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Not to be a hog and change the direction of this thread, but another great (and delicious) way to get gelatin into your diet...rice pudding and custard!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Not to be a hog and change the direction of this thread, but another great (and delicious) way to get gelatin into your diet...rice pudding and custard!
    There's gelatin in custard? I was actually thinking about custard the other day when I came across a raw peach cobler recipe.; (but I'm probably going to use oats not nuts)

The FullyRaw Peach Cobbler! - YouTube

If you have a recipe, please do share (I'm only eating goat milk and most use cornstarch for that...)
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    There's gelatin in custard? I was actually thinking about custard the other day when I came across a raw peach cobler recipe.; (but I'm probably going to use oats not nuts)

If you have a recipe, please do share (I'm only eating goat milk and most use cornstarch for that...)
    Nstocks- You can usually use tapioca flour/starch in the place of corn starch. I use it in my banana pudding recipe.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Why are you people not sharing these recipes?!?

*Please?*

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    Nstocks- You can usually use tapioca flour/starch in the place of corn starch. I use it in my banana pudding recipe.
    Yeah, I just meant that some flour is used for thickening so I'm not sure how gelatin can be added - if that's what Chocotaco369 meant.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-27-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Uhm, is Knorr gelatine Okay?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post

REAL TRADITIONAL ICE CREAM uses gelatin. Today, they've been replaced by much cheaper gums. If you look at ANY storebought ice cream in the grocery store, you will almost always see a gum - xanthan gum, guar gum, carob bean gum, locust bean gum, etc. Gelatin will do the same thing and actually make the product healthier. Homemade ice cream can be an excellent source of gelatin if you remember to add it to the recipe, and it adds wonderful volume and texture to the final product.

Since ice cream is simply frozen custard, yes, add gelatin to your custard. Any recipe that calls for flour/cornstarch as a thickener can be replaced with gelatin. This includes mousse, pudding, rice pudding, custard, ice cream, flan, etc. All can be made with gelatin - and in a very healthy way at that.

I'm not going to post recipes because there are an infinity of recipies on the internet for puddings, custards and ice creams, and personal tastes vary. You'll have to experiment since you can't sub gelatin 1:1 for flours and refined starch thickeners. Unfortunately, this means lots of trial and error, resulting in having to consume lots of delicious desserts until you reach the perfect final product...oh darn
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    REAL TRADITIONAL ICE CREAM uses gelatin. Today, they've been replaced by much cheaper gums. If you look at ANY storebought ice cream in the grocery store, you will almost always see a gum - xanthan gum, guar gum, carob bean gum, locust bean gum, etc. Gelatin will do the same thing and actually make the product healthier. Homemade ice cream can be an excellent source of gelatin if you remember to add it to the recipe, and it adds wonderful volume and texture to the final product.

Since ice cream is simply frozen custard, yes, add gelatin to your custard. Any recipe that calls for flour/cornstarch as a thickener can be replaced with gelatin. This includes mousse, pudding, rice pudding, custard, ice cream, flan, etc. All can be made with gelatin - and in a very healthy way at that.

I'm not going to post recipes because there are an infinity of recipies on the internet for puddings, custards and ice creams, and personal tastes vary. You'll have to experiment since you can't sub gelatin 1:1 for flours and refined starch thickeners. Unfortunately, this means lots of trial and error, resulting in having to consume lots of delicious desserts until you reach the perfect final product...oh darn
    Haagen Dazs is the only major commercial ice cream I know of which does not use gums.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Haagen Dazs is the only major commercial ice cream I know of which does not use gums.
    Me too. Their "Five" line is the only one I've seen. There may be a black label Turkey Hill free of gums, but I can't quite remember. Those lines typically add lots of overrun - air - into the mixture to prevent crystallization, which means they're not as thick and rich. Haagen Dazs Five I've never had...maybe they're just that darn good because they're known for being richer than cheaper brands.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

That has really got me thinking about how I can add gelatin to dishes, thanks, it is actually very logical, I could add gelatin to semifreddo too (no ice cream maker).
    Life. Be in it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast