Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plantar fasciitis and weightlifting page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Plantar fasciitis and weightlifting

Shop Now
    I squat and deadlift heavy, and for the past few months have been experiencing plantar fasciitis in my left foot recurringly (noticeably after I took up front squats, cleans, and push presses regularly, since I haven't made gains on my lift much). I have flat feet (used to run in cushioned shoes) and after 1.5 years of heavy lifting am still flat-footed. Does anybody have any tips on how I should go about healing my inflamed tendon, and strengthen the area at the same time? I would like to continue to lift heavy in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I've had success working the trigger points in my calves to help PF.

Check the video here:

Plantar Fasciitis: Heel Pain | Foot Pain | Running Injury

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Esther Gokhale's book has a bit in there about proper foot position that really helped my wife out with her arches. Something about kidney-bean shaped feet, but I don't remember the details.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Calf raises with the weighted barbel on your back, same position as you would for back squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Huarache Gal View Post
    I've had success working the trigger points in my calves to help PF.

Check the video here:

Plantar Fasciitis: Heel Pain | Foot Pain | Running Injury
    Wow! I am definitely going to do this. I am glad I read this now versus before using the orthotics I just bought over the long-term. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    Calf raises with the weighted barbel on your back, same position as you would for back squats.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Esther Gokhale's book has a bit in there about proper foot position that really helped my wife out with her arches. Something about kidney-bean shaped feet, but I don't remember the details.
    Buying a book? :O Travesty!

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Try doing squats and deadlifts with flat soled shoes such as Chuck Taylor's. If you buy high tops, leave the top part unlaced. I have flat feet and they help out.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 07-09-2013 at 10:02 PM.

ezrida is offline Junior Member
    I had something similar that I got because of my running. I found foot taping to be very helpful because it helps you with the pain and keeps the foot from further injury. If you need some more information about taping you can go to: Plantar Fasciitis Taping

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    get a tennis ball and put it under the sole of your foot and roll it back and forth. You can also put a thin towel on the floor and curl your toes to pick up the towel. Do a set of 3x12 3 times a day.

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    get a tennis ball and put it under the sole of your foot and roll it back and forth. You can also put a thin towel on the floor and curl your toes to pick up the towel. Do a set of 3x12 3 times a day.
    I had a pretty painful few years with plantar faciitis, orthotics didn't help, the above mentioned exercises relieved the pain temporarily. I finally just started spending more time barefoot and started buying less stylish work shoes in favor of shoes with wider, less pointed, toe boxes. I have no issue today and I run more than I ever did and I lift barefoot (or socks at the gym). In effect I was unknowingly moving towards minimalist shoes! Let your feet move as nature intended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast