Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting? page

Owen is offline Senior Member

Hunting?

Primal Fuel
    Hunting (or activities that replicate it) is one of the most engaging and rewarding ways to get outside and get some primal - type movements such as walking and liifting, awareness of your surroundings, etc.

Is there a way to build more hunting-type activites into our modern lives? I'm just looking for ideas.

I once took part in a search and rescue service and it was a massive buzz, I think because the psychology of hunting is so compelling and draws you in. I'm sure if we could tap into this expereince in other ways it would be hugely beneficial.

Any thoughts?

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Well, if it meant hunting with spears then yeah. But to just lie hidden with a hunting rifle isn't replicating much.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    Well, if it meant hunting with spears then yeah. But to just lie hidden with a hunting rifle isn't replicating much.
    Come with me and follow an elk all over the place in high altitude, sneak in close enough for a good shot, field dress it, and pack it out on your back 200 pounds at a time, then let me know if it's work or not.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    I live in an area that allows me to hunt on a regular basis and I love it. Grouse and pheasant is one of my favorite hunts - walking through woods or prairie with a shotgun trying to kick one up. Deer hunting is tough after the kill, you need to get that meat back somehow!

I also love to fish, which I do out of canoe that requires paddling so activity involved in way I do it. If I come to a nice spot and feel like exploring underwater (and fishing is slow), I put on my snorkeling gear and explore. See lots of fish, which could be speared if legal! Things like crawfish, clams, etc. all there for the taking.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Come with me and follow an elk all over the place in high altitude, sneak in close enough for a good shot, field dress it, and pack it out on your back 200 pounds at a time, then let me know if it's work or not.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    If only people would think before they typed...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Ever heard of Geocashing? It's not really the same thing hunting per say, but maybe you'll find it to be fun. Basically, there is an entire community of people who hides very small boxes holding things, in many countries all over the globe. Through forums, they share things like coordinates and/or clues, so that other people will be able to find them. They place little trinkets in them, and when people find the box they may take one if they put something else back for others. Some people track little 'coins' through the forums, seeing how far they travel. Quite fun.

Mostly, people just hide them on some clever spot that is difficult to find but easy to reach, but there are some tricky ones too. Those of higher levels might require diving- or mountain climbing gear for example. Sure doesn't beat dragging an un-gutted moose through snary woods in terms of lifting things, but if you're looking for something to heighten your senses, try looking for a tiny box in the middle of a forest when all you know is that it's somewhere within ten meters radius.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    I'm in, though I may have to borrow a rifle. Where are you, and what are the requirements for a non-resident permit in your region?

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Ever heard of Geocashing? It's not really the same thing hunting per say, but maybe you'll find it to be fun. Basically, there is an entire community of people who hides very small boxes holding things, in many countries all over the globe. Through forums, they share things like coordinates and/or clues, so that other people will be able to find them. They place little trinkets in them, and when people find the box they may take one if they put something else back for others. Some people track little 'coins' through the forums, seeing how far they travel. Quite fun.

Mostly, people just hide them on some clever spot that is difficult to find but easy to reach, but there are some tricky ones too. Those of higher levels might require diving- or mountain climbing gear for example. Sure doesn't beat dragging an un-gutted moose through snary woods in terms of lifting things, but if you're looking for something to heighten your senses, try looking for a tiny box in the middle of a forest when all you know is that it's somewhere within ten meters radius.
    Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

There are apparently some deer stalking places you can go to in the UK but I don't know how much it costs, probably a lot. Its a way of having quality venison available - all the deers get butchered. It's some of the best meat you can get as they are practically wild animals. Sometimes I wonder whether that's the way forward for all animal rearing. Only trouble is, deer are very shy animals - having cows wandering around our forests would be more problematic. Anyway, I digress!

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Although I do hunt whitetail deer, I actually don't care much for it. It's cold. I have to get up early in the morning. There's always lots of tedious or difficult chores around the camphouse that need doing. Gutting and skinning a carcass isn't the most pleasant process. It's all worth it, though.

Deer steak! Deer sausage! Deer jerky! Mmmmmmm...
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    I want an elk. It is so delicious - my favorite game meat! I don't hunt, but I've been trying to convince my brother to get me one for years. Those tags are expensive though.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast