Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I fought the brain fog... page 5

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'd look into leaky gut, food intolerances (especially gluten if you're still using it occasionally), and other toxicities. Maybe be tested for malabsorption, antigliadin antibodies, autoimmune disease... ?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

BRISCO is offline Junior Member
    I am actually thinking of seeing a new neurologist and an allergist these days. I want to offer the possibility of coeliac disease although i do not have any abdominal pain. I do not think that leaky gut is diagnosed in my country but I will give it a try. One more thing is that since the start of my symptoms I have been experiencing eczema on both of my hands and constant tinnitus. I have noticed that after i consume foods containing wheat I feel kinda sluggish and weak, the situation is not the same for other carbs like rice and potatoes.

junkgrl is offline Junior Member
    hi. About 2 weeks in on wheat elimination it felt like 2 teeny room darkening window shades suddenly rolled up behind my eyes andI woke up and felt more alive than I have in a very long time. Energy galore. Ran my first sprint yesterday. 63 yr old granny and I feel young again!

BRISCO is offline Junior Member
    Dear junkgrl,

I am also on wheat elimination for 5 days. before when i used to go to GYM I would suffer for two days after such exercise, I would feel tired, sleepy and very weak. Yesterday I went to GYM again and felt very alive this time. I think it is not a coincidence and it is somehow related to food allergies. Haven't been able to see an allergist yet. I will get back to you as soon as i find a clue or an answer.

jiffypop is offline Junior Member
    When I switched to high fat diet it was if a fog had been lifted, there really is no better way to describe it. It blew my mind because I was only expecting to drop some weight and add some muscle. I accomplished more in the first month than I had in the previous 4. While I was in the fog, I constantly wondered how people got so much done in a day, and pursued such challenging occupations. I believe the key to lifting the fog is a ketogenic diet (high fat, adequate protien, low carb)

The reason I think that a ketogenic diet is the way to go is that it changes the fuel that your brain runs on ketones instead of glycogen I think.
    Joseph Arcita: A Guide to Ketosis

If you search the Mark's daily apple (MKA) forums for brain fog, you'll run across a few threads of people who are "following" the primal diet by eating chicken, steak, eggs. A sirloin steak is 65% protein, a whole roast chicken is ~55% protein. Not nearly high enough fat content to get the proportion of protein below the required 40% threshold. If you're not familiar, if you ingest more than 40% of your calories from protein you will go into Rabbit starvation which causes a huge build up of nitrogenous wastes and eventually death, . . . doh! Eggs actually provide more than 60% of their calories from fat. It seams that most people that are trying to eat primal are actually eating a diet much closer to the atkins diet.

I've read accounts of native americans hunting Deer and consuming all the fat and leaving the muscle for the wolves. I haven't found any detailed accounts of what they ate of the deer, but I assume this included any stored fat on the body and gut, brains, and bone marrow.
    Apparently the species H. Erectus (Homo sapien's predecessor) is known as the fat hunter. I just thought that was cool.

So my point is if your going to try the primal diet and dramatically reduce your carb intake, you must then dramatically increase your fat intake, you can't just eat meat. Save the fat left from your bacon, suck the marrow out of your chicken bones, get a bucket of pork fat from your local farmer and render it yourself, collect all the leg bones from your friends deer kills and eat the marrow and brains if your really brave (Research Chronic wasting disease first).

JamesSmith is offline Junior Member
    I also thought it is quite difficult..I am just astounded by it's hard terms..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345