Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I fought the brain fog... page 3

PlaydohYeti is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the information. I looked up candida and its symptoms and there do seem to be a lot of correlations with what I've experienced except for the way you actually develop the condition.

It's been so long I can't remember the last time I took anti-biotics and I've only ever used them short-term, and being a dude I'm not taking birth control pills. I did use Lorazepam every day for about 4 years which is a CNS suppressor, but gave those up about 3 years ago. That would be one heck of a hangover if they're still having an impact on my gut flora.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    Just eating a standard diet with lots of carbs and sugar can cause a candida overgrowth. Candida LOVES sugar!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Perhaps I just need to stick to my guns and continue with the PB (which I intend to for the rest of my life, regardless), seeing as the prime candidate in aggravating candida is carbohydrates.
    No, it's poor intrinstic immunity.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

HBarrett is offline Member
    KG, I think it was you who said your brain fog was accompanied by chronic headache and that your sister suffers from migraine. Migraine comes in all shapes -- including dull, chronic headachy feelings without much pain. This is exactly what my acute migraine turned into after menopause. Migraine also runs in families. Ask your doctor to let you try a course of triptan meds. My brain fog is always a migraine symptom. I think it is related to the migraine process called cortical spreading depression.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    but with acne I feel alienated in public.
    Retinoids. Rx retinoids are *the bomb*. There is always a way to tweak one's routines to make them tolerable - so if you've tried them and they didn't work....try again and I'll work with you on it.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

phishery is offline Junior Member
    I know this isn't the cause of the fog being discussed, but in case someone searches for brain fog I wanted to throw one other very common experience for folks going primal and that is that induction period. If a person is eating few enough carbs to cause their body to start using ketones to fuel the heart and brain it can take 30 days or so for the brain to be "cool" with that. I recently read a study that laid out some exact time frames and they did cognitive tests while a person was going through "induction" (an atkins term). I experienced this in a very pronounced way (I try to keep to no more then 30g carb/day as I am Type 1 and this helps keep it tightly manages and keeps insulin usage to a minimum). I did find that it helped to be quite rigorous and not cheat on carbs to help get the body up and over the hump of using the ketones efficiently.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Since going Primal my ADD has pretty much vanished. My ability to concentrate at work (I am a computer programmer) has increased substantially. I do not get sleepy in the afternoons or feel like sitting on the couch because I am tired. I equate the clearing of my ADD to removing grains from my diet (and dependence on coffee!)

BlueBear is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone I'm new here on the forum but I've been following the PB for two months or so. Because of brain fog and fatigue I started looking for the right diet. I reasoned that a primal/paleo diet would be best and ultimately found the primal blueprint. Brain fog and fatigue has definately improved and still slowly improving but it's far from gone. Hopefully time is all it will take.

Edit: Things that reduced my brain fog was when I started to watch out for a good omega 3/6 ratio and also when I started meditating now and then.
    Last edited by BlueBear; 08-01-2010 at 01:21 PM.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HBarrett View Post
    KG, I think it was you who said your brain fog was accompanied by chronic headache and that your sister suffers from migraine. Migraine comes in all shapes -- including dull, chronic headachy feelings without much pain. This is exactly what my acute migraine turned into after menopause. Migraine also runs in families. Ask your doctor to let you try a course of triptan meds. My brain fog is always a migraine symptom. I think it is related to the migraine process called cortical spreading depression.
    My headache isn't exactly painful, but it's noticeable enough to be an issue. As for my sister, she hasn't had a migraine in months from what I'm aware of. They were never regular, to be sure. I appreciate your advice, but I'd rather avoid using any medication, simply because it will only treat the symptom and not the cause. Again, thank you for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    No, it's poor intrinstic immunity.

K
    Seeing that got me thinking. I haven't been 'sick' in at least a year. What I mean by this, is that I haven't had any colds or anything for a while. I used to get loads of ear infections, which actually made me realise that I used to take antibiotics for those too! The infections would hurt my ear and cause a sore throat and stuffy nose (seeing as they're all connected), as well as high body temperature etc. and would often result in me taking at least a week or two off school. I've literally forgotten about them since I haven't had an infection for so long. I'm never sick, but I haven't felt 'well' or 'right' either. It's like I'm stuck in limbo!

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Retinoids. Rx retinoids are *the bomb*. There is always a way to tweak one's routines to make them tolerable - so if you've tried them and they didn't work....try again and I'll work with you on it.
    Funny you mention them; I'm currently on a course of Roaccutane / Isotretinoin (60mg a day) with just over 6 weeks left to go. I did my research when I heard how powerful a drug it is, and reading the massive amount of horror stories about side-effects and whatnot put me off at first. However, the stories I read were coming from a significantly small percentage of all the people who have been on Accutane, and the acne was only getting worse by the day, so I went straight for it. My dermatologist was the one who told me about it and recommended it, and considering how severe my acne was, it was only common sense. I used to take antibiotics (tetracycline) as my first ticket to getting rid of very, very mild acne about 4-5 years ago. The first course worked wonders within 2 weeks, but my acne kept popping back up (back then I didn't look after myself; plenty of sugary foods, junk food, no exercise, poor sleep habits, the lot). The GP prescribed more courses of the same Oxytetracycline tablets, and they seemed to grow more and more ineffective the more I used them. Maybe I adapted to them or something? Considering my antibiotic use and my history of munching on Wagon Wheels and Jaffa Cakes religiously, you can see why I suspect candida in my other posts. Thanks for the support, cillakat!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think my condition is as severe as what y'all have described but this
    I was actually AWAKE, extremely energetic and genuinely ecstatic. That was very short-lived though. By the next day I was back in the fog.
    I have experienced to a T. The fog started a few years ago, around the time that sugar addiction really took hold of my life (and I was getting prescribed more and more frequent antibiotics - the root cause, imo), and occasionally - very rarely - the veil would lift. The first time it lifted, when I was getting the sugar out and had moved my fruit consumption to meals instead of snacks, I had a few days of amazing energy (would rather move than sit) & clarity. I thought, "Wow - oh my gosh, I used to feel like this all the time. I thought I had just gotten lazy!"

I read summaries of Taubes' GCBC and realized I was totally living the insulin thing - he says fat people aren't fat b/c they don't exercise, but rather, they're both fat & sedentary b/c of the insulin issues from the excess carbs they eat. The carbs cause both the fat and the lack of energy. I totally believed that once I had that first vision into what it feels like to live with energy & mental clarity.

Since going grain/sugar free again, the veil is lifting again. Not suddenly, but it is. I also saw it lower again a few weeks ago after eating more grains/sugar on vacation. I suspect it's sugar for me more than the grains, but I don't know for sure. It may be total carbs, IDK.

I'm going GAPS in the fall, which is very similar to the SCD mentioned above (Breaking the Vicious Cycle). The first stage is an elimination diet (extreme! Just broth and certain boiled veggies at first), then it's just "real food + fermented foods - grains" w/ a few minor tweaks. BBasically, you're eating nothing that is more complex than a monosaccharide. Fruits & occasional honey, nothing sweeter or starchier. No root veggies (other than carrots), no grains (not even buckwheat, millet, amaranth, or quinoa). Not too much different from how I eat now, anyway. Dairy can be added if it becomes tolerated.

The idea is not just to find out what you can't yet tolerate, but to heal the gut, slowly, so that the damage done from bad gut flora can recover and the good bacterial population take over so that you can begin to tolerate foods you once could not. It heals allergies and all the problems stemming from malabsorption or leaky gut, from asthma to autism, IBS to brain fog.

I have great hopes!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-02-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: correct term

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast